Intel HD Graphics 4000 only displaying native monitor resolution in Safe Mode Acer EI342CKR

Malaika_Cheema29
Malaika_Cheema29 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2022 in Monitors

Recently my graphics card died so I switched over to the integrated graphics on my motherboard. I plugged my DisplayPort cable into the motherboard, everything looked fine, and then after a few minutes, I heard the device connected chime, and my resolution was reduced to 1920x1080. When I checked Display Settings, that was the maximum resolution I could select. My monitor's native resolution is 3440x1440. It does however detect that the refresh rate is 120 HZ.

One of my troubleshooting steps was to boot into Safe Mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller to wipe all the graphics drivers (from both NVidia and Intel) from my computer. At this point I realized that it automatically went to full native resolution in safe mode. So I assume the problem lies with the Intel driver. So far I have tried changing to an HDMI cable, installing the latest drivers, an older driver, and leaving no drivers installed (which just makes Windows decide to install one and I'm back to 1080p). I also tried setting a Custom Resolution in the Intel Graphics Control Panel. This gives me an error: "The custom resolution exceeds the maximum bandwidth capacity".

What else can I do to get 3440x1440 resolution in normal Windows?

Relevant systems specs:

• Windows 10 (21H1)
  • Intel Core i5-3570K
  • ASUS ASUS P8Z77-V LK (BIOS v 1402)
  • Acer EI342CKR

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,462 Trailblazer
    >>>Recently my graphics card died>>>One of my troubleshooting steps was to boot into Safe Mode and use Display Driver Uninstaller to wipe all the graphics drivers (from both NVidia and Intel) from my computer. At this point I realized that it automatically went to full native resolution in safe mode.>>>

Sorry, you have an ASUS PC, not ACER. The SafeMode observation seems unlikely.

Jack E/NJ

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    I don't believe the HD graphics on a 3rd gen Intel CPU supports higher than 1080P...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.