Can't Boot Ubuntu 20.04 after installing it alongside Windows Predator G3-710

Options
robertfoerster
robertfoerster Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Predator Desktops
I'm using an ACER Predator G3-710 and just installed my Ubuntu alongside Windows 10 on a second SSD-Card that was previously empty. Everything went fine but after restarting my PC it always boots into windows immediately and won't show the Grub menu. I also can't find Ubuntu in my BIOS Boot settings. My BIOS Version is R01-a4S0.

Thanks for your help! :)

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• robertfoerster

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Solved: I had to disable save boot in my BIOS settings and change the bootpath using this article.

Answers

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    When you installed ubuntu, how / which drvie did you instal grub to :)?
  • robertfoerster

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    Leostat said:
    When you installed ubuntu, how / which drvie did you instal grub to :)?
    I tried several approaches, the easiest one was just to choose the option of discarding the Disk I never used and then installing Ubuntu on it automatically. But I also tried creating my own partition and then choosing the EFI of my Windows Bootloader to install Grub on it. None of those worked. Pls tell me if something I said doesn't make sense. I'm a complete noob.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @robertfoerster

I'll advise creating another separate 100 MB FAT32 format UEFI partition on the drive with the Ubuntu on it manually. Before finalizing the Ubuntu installation, specify to install bootloader to this 100 MB UEFI partition on the Ubuntu drive.

Also, when you tap F12 when bootup, can you reach the Bootmenu and see that Ubuntu?
  • robertfoerster

Tinkerer

edited January 2022
    Options
    ttttt said:
    @robertfoerster

I'll advise creating another separate 100 MB FAT32 format UEFI partition on the drive with the Ubuntu on it manually. Before finalizing the Ubuntu installation, specify to install bootloader to this 100 MB UEFI partition on the Ubuntu drive.

Also, when you tap F12 when bootup, can you reach the Bootmenu and see that Ubuntu?
    I can reach the Bootmenu but I can't see Ubuntu in it. But I'll try creating a FAT32 partition.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Options
    You could try turning fastboot off before you install, it could be jumping stright to the windows boot option,but if ubuntu isnt in the hoot menu it suggsts the bootloader wasnt installed by the installer,

It should be the last step where it asks how you want to install the bootloader / grub, it is possible to skip it so may be worth going through the install again :)
  • robertfoerster

Tinkerer

Options
    ttttt said:
    @robertfoerster

What should the mountpoint be on that small partition?
  • ttttt
    Options
    @robertfoerster

Can you see the /esp flag as the mount point? Normally put this partition at the beginning of the drive.
  • robertfoerster

Tinkerer

Answer ✓
    Options
    Solved: I had to disable save boot in my BIOS settings and change the bootpath using this article.
  • ttttt
    Options
    @robertfoerster

Thanks for reporting back. 

Do you mean you have to disable "Secure" boot?