I post here hoping to get to a proper solution with an Aspire 3, A315-21 model which i bought secondhand without any operating system and more...
I bought the laptop as i wanted to use some software that dont run on the other platform i use. I have not used windows for at least 20 years and now i am back with same issues i dont want to look at... compatibility and other problems...
Laptop had broken LCD which not sure if was touch by factory, and i installed one used that i think is not touch one. There is no sata caddy as well and the laptop is placed in the compartment loose and hdd cover does not close well, possibly of broken plastic
or missing caddy to stabilise it.
I have 4GB ram as i see is onboard and have not upgraded it yet to an extra 8GB stick.
I have added one 250gb sata 5400rpm hdd and maybe i add one M2 ssd inside as well in future.
I started figuring out how was this model shipped from factory- features but still not sure...
I started downloading windows 10x64 versions from heidoc as could see popup menu with versions than
going to chaotic MS site to break my nervous system down without options etc.
So, i downloaded 4-5 versions that is. from latest to older ones.
I only managed, not sure how, use YUMI tool, like Rufus, to burn ver 1809 build 17763.107 on a usb stick
and i presume under some extra luck with correct bios settings ?! That was not a self-bootable ie wintogo USB
but a normal installer choice. Bios was in Legacy. I think hdd was formated NTFS not sure.
Setup loaded from usb but NO mouse, NO trackpad-touchpad response.
I managed to install win HOME x64 bit version with my favorite torture from the past...
using keyboard, TAB key navigation etc. I have had no mouse as i dont use one anymore.
I have not registered to ie pro version yet as not sure if this will cause further problems, so i stay with ´Home´ now.
All other versions did not load setup, they started and then reboot back to Grub menus or the usb installer choices.
When i got to the desktop, after 20 days reading and getting confused with Legacy, UEFI and EFI, i was lucky this old version
could show me the wifi networks around and connected to one, to continue my torture... Windows started autoupdating
and after maybe, 20 hours installing fixing rebooting, with some other errors, i got to version, i think H20 or H21.
This was installed and after a reboot, back in desktop screen with a popup error, my hardware has changed asking to reboot,
which always bringing back the same error when back to desktop.
I formated the HDD again and now i run again under 1809 with about 10 updates for 1809 only,
where i managed to switch off the wifi and stop here. I have no issues with date and time settings, but the cmos battery is missing
for reference and laptop is on electricity all times.
I cannot go further and update to avoid the error popup from H20 or H21.
I also tried other tools winToUsb etc. but had no luck at all.
I found the forum looking for some info and popped in to ask for help as i also tried to do a BIOS update
from legacy mode with ZAS125.exe and insyde program gave error -Mount the EFI system partition failed- then quit.
Other questions are:
1. what are the specs This model was supplied with, as new. Windows version installed and what bios mode was set UEFI etc.
2. How do i activate the Fn-key combination for wifi fn+F3 as i am not sure what it does as i see no feedback on the screen.
The wifi cards sticker says, QCA: nfa435A, ver WW_C, 1 main 2 AUX. MSIP-CRM-ATH-QCNFA435, DDPPI ID: 39259/SDPPI/2015,
PLG ID: 1820, model QCNFA435. It is placed on the pcb socket but does not install in full length of it. Looks like a wifi card with less
contacts on pcb than the socket but works, mentioned for reference.
3. What is the best Bios (or UEFI) to use and re-install windows and which version to allow me recognise Touchpad during setup screen.
If other solution is needed for touchpad recognition please inform on steps to be taken. I copy files over 5GB to the windows and other OS´s.
4. What format type should i use for the HDD to allow smooth windows install.
5. Can i delete all other ie recovery partitions etc created by windows during installation, ie with diskpart and how to do it.
6. Is there a windows 64bit version that is higher than 1809 and works with a bootable usb.
I am not sure if usb sometimes fails to be recognised due to the program that is used possibly wrong ie rufus etc. with wrong formating
and i end up here as well.
7. Why in BIOS i get a message best install windows 8x when i change from legacy to uefi.
8. There are x2 TCP or TPM choices in BIOS boot menu. Do they have to be on or disabled. Do they affect installation further...
9. If you could give me 2 further choices for installation would appreciated furter on.
9a. one Legacy and allow over 4GB file operations and 64bit win10
9b. one UEFI and if i have to add manually items in that system database to allow installation.
Example. Use rufus, choose format ntfs, gpt, and burn winToGo or normal installer etc.
10. If i use ie H20 to do straight windows install on hdd, after installation, do i have to go through all lower updates or not.
11. RAM. What memory speed and type should i buy to work best with the on-board RAM speed modules, i presume.
Is there a way to tell from the ram stickers if is ie ECC or non-ECC and example please.
12. Does the BIOS update error -Mount the EFI system partition failed- indicates that i need to install win 64bit and
under uefi or uefi secured mode to update BIOS ok or not. Is it further related to the fact the cmos battery
is missing while i use electricity. I always have the laptop plugged in electricity.
How do i know if i need to download and run other BIOS programs from your support page.
14. Can i use other CMOS battery than ML1220 that is difficult to find and what battery you suggest.
Thats all for now... I am stuck waiting for your future replies back.
Thread was edited to add model name to the title