Aspire A715-42G - Webcam stopped working following Windows 11 Update - HELP!!

Matt73UK
Matt73UK Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

edited January 2022 in Windows 11
I only got this laptop Aspire A715-42G a few days ago and all was fine until I installed Windows 11. Now the webcam wont work. I get a message saying 'We can't find your camera' with the error code 0xA00F4244. I have been into Device Manager and Imaging Devices does not appear in the list so I'm baffled! 

How can I fix this?

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Go to this link and download and install the new  Win11 chipset driver.

Jack E/NJ

• Matt73UK

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Go to this link and download and install the new  Win11 chipset driver.

Thanks. I tried that but I get the message 'AMD Chipset software installation failed'.
  • JackE
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near the top of the next screen. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it back on and try re-installing the Win11 chipset driver

Jack E/NJ

• Matt73UK

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    Open Control Panel. Search 'button'. Click 'change what the power buttons do' in left pane. Click 'change settings that are currently unavailable' near the top of the next screen. Scroll down and uncheck box for fast startup. Shut down Windows normally. Then turn it back on and try re-installing the Win11 chipset driver
    Thanks. I tried this but the installation failed again. What did happen though is I noticed there was a 'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' in Device Manager. So I uninstalled it, rebooted and the camera now appears there again. It seemed to be working fine....I tested it in Zoom, but after about 60 seconds it goes off, disappears from Device Manager and the 'Unknown USB Device (Port Reset Failed)' appears again.
  • JackE
    edited January 2022
    Re-trace your steps. Uninstall the unknown device. Re-boot. Check to make sure no more red or yellow Device Manager warnings. Then try re-install the chipset driver again before trying to test anything. You'll probably have to do another re-boot if the chipset driver installs.

Jack E/NJ

• the_bangali_babu
    the_bangali_babu Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 2023

I am writing this on 10/02/2023

Today I faced the same issue, searched on the communities and found that it's not only me facing this camera detection issue.

In my case I turned off 'fast startup' from the control panel->power options, and then cleared all the temporary & recent files and cleared all the temporary windows system files using clean manager, and then did shut down the PC and then turned on the pc again, and my webcam driver in device manager was visible. That's it, y camera is now fine.

Steps to clean up temporary files:

1. Windows+R->write 'temp' and hit enter, sel all the files and dlt permanently, some of them won't be deleted but that's not a issue,
    2. Windows+R->write '%temp%' and hit enter, sel all the files and dlt permanently, some of them won't be deleted but that's not a issue,
    3. Windows+R->write 'recent' and hit enter, sel all the files and dlt,
    4. Windows+R->write 'cleanmgr' and hit enter, sel system drive(usually 'C' drive)->click 'ok'->click 'clean up system files'-> sel system drive (usually 'C' drive) again->sel all the items under 'files to delete'->click 'ok'

You should regularly update windows and windows apps and geforce drivers & cleanup temporary files frequently to run your pc smoother.

• ankitomtamrakar
    ankitomtamrakar Member Posts: 1 New User

I am also having the same error. No camera appears in device manager, don't know if it was there earlier or not. Searched a lot of places but couldn't get it right. HELP, if someone solved the issue.

• JackE

Haven't heard back from https://community.acer.com/en/profile/Matt73UK in more than a year on whether or not it's fixed with the chipset driver update. Sometimes 'no news' is good news. Sometimes not. 🙂

Jack E/NJ

• Matt73UK

Tinkerer

edited August 2023

I’ve never been able to solve the issue. Acer have been no help whatsoever. I ended up buying a plug in webcam which seems ridiculous but it works.

Occasionally I’ll go into MS Teams and my internal camera will be working but it goes off within minutes and reverts to the same error.

Very disappointed with the whole episode. I wouldn’t buy Acer again that’s for sure.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer

It's not really an Acer specific issue, all the newer chipsets can exhibit it. I believe it's a big Microsoft introduced in the HAL (Hardware Extraction Layer) when they started work for the Windows 11 upgrade from Windows 10. Sometimes just reinstalling USB drivers fixes it, sometimes reinstalling the OS fixes it, sometimes it fixes itself for no reason and sometimes it just doesn't work any longer. The symptoms are caused by data on the internal USB ports getting garbled… The device then is either no longer seen or seen as corrupted.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.