Orion 3000 P03-630-EB11 purchase uncertainty

Options
CdnB
CdnB Member Posts: 1 New User
edited January 2022 in Predator Desktops
Just in the process of ordering a Orion 3000 (model number P03-630-EB11).  Due to the severely volatile markets around PC hardware, how certain can I be this unit will be produced to pre-pandemic spec?  I'm basically skeptical these pre-builds may have corners cut here and there.  This one in particular is supposed to be coming with a i7-11700F, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti 8GB, 1 TB SSD, and 16 GB DDR4 ram.  The compact case and seemingly underpowered 500 W power supply already has me nervous.  Paying $2000 CDN for this unit - taxes in so I'm curious what a pre-pandemic unit of the same model would "typically" come with if the hardware market wasn't so volatile on hardware pricing/availability.  Should I be holding off a while longer before committing to a pre-build?  I do not play AAA games so the 3060ti is definitely overkill for what I want to get into for games in the short-term.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• messer89
    messer89 Member Posts: 54 Devotee WiFi Icon
    edited January 2022
    Options
    CdnB said:
    seemingly underpowered 500 W power supply already has me nervous.  
    The PSU is perfectly fine for this setup. It also has 50+ gold certificate what means it really has stable 500W, so:
     I7 10700f works on 65W (up to 200 in stress but you'll never use it on full load untill you run CPU benchmarks :) ), GPU needs max 200W (you also won't use it on full load untill you play AAA games on max. settings in 100+ fps) both FrostBlade fans use max. 8-9W, CPU cooler uses max. 2W, mobo uses I guess 30W(couldn't find any data about it) ram uses max. 3W depends on what ram you'll get with the pc, Nvme ssd uses usually 10W in games, other components use negligibly small amounts of power, conclusion - you still have 50W reserve even when you use your PC on 100% what you will probably never do.

Paying $2000 CDN for this unit seems to be an acceptable offer as for me.

And as for your doubts about the quality - idk, I also have PO3-630 and every Acer product I've had so far was pretty good, so... I have no reason not to recommend it

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    What we have seen as reactions to the difficulty in sourcing parts is Acer will sometimes install faster memory than specced because they can get the faster but not the slower... The 500W size was chosen to match the requirements of the whole system, and with the power savings inherent in the 11th gen chipset there's extra available for peripherals like the GPU.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.