Acer Aspire One D257 Black Screen

Options
jjjaac
jjjaac Member Posts: 2 New User
I know this laptop is very old, but I don't want it to die like this.

One day, after attempting to clean the inside of the laptop, after putting it back together, it would only boot to a black screen. The indicator lights are all on, but the screen is just black. 

I've tried connecting it to another monitor, pressing Fn+F5 to turn the backlight on, taking it apart to make sure the display cable is properly connected, but none of that helps.

The only promising solution I've heard of is to flash the bios. However, I cannot find the steps to flash the bios of this laptop in particular. Many of the guides ask you to download the bios file and extract FLASHIT.exe and the bios file onto a USB drive, but the bios file for my laptop, when downloaded from the Acer website, does not contain FLASHIT.exe.

Does anyone have a guide on how to flash the bios of this laptop specifically, as all other guides for similar laptops have different steps. I have tried everything and I believe flashing the bios is the only possible solution. Thank you. 

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    If the screen was OK before you opened it, then it's highly unlikely to be a BIOS issue. Do not try to flash the BIOS despite what the low end guru advises. Try pressing FN+F6 to toggle the laptop screen on.

Jack E/NJ

• jjjaac
    jjjaac Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    If the screen was OK before you opened it, then it's highly unlikely to be a BIOS issue. Do not try to flash the BIOS despite what the low end guru advises. Try pressing FN+F6 to toggle the laptop screen on.
    Unfortunately, that didn't work either.
    However, one other thing I noticed is that the laptop gets very hot very quickly, and the fan turns on and is somewhat loud. This didn't happen before the issue started.
    One other thing, I opened the laptop up and tried replacing the RAM but it didn't have any effect.

Thank you for your support.
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,481 Trailblazer
    Options
    >>>attempting to clean the inside of the laptop, after putting it back together, it would only boot to a black screen>>>>>>laptop gets very hot very quickly. This didn't happen before the issue started.>>>

I think you must re-trace the steps you took in trying to clean this laptop. Getting so hot suggests something is shorting the mainboard power to ground. Perhaps a screw is touching a trace line on the mainboard,  It might be best to take it apart again like you did to try to clean it and carefully re-assemble to make sure no ribbon cables are pinched and no screws are touching tracelines on the mainboard.

Jack E/NJ