My laptop turns off when i lift it or move it travelmate P459-G2-M

Options
Yazid
Yazid Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
I have Acer travelmate P459-G2-M it works fine with or without the charger plugged in (when it's on my desk) but when i lift the laptop or move it sometimes it turns off suddenly
is there anyway i can fix this problem. 

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,630 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Some mainboards have a safety interlock switch that shuts off power intermittently if the bottom cover, misaligned or doors are loose. Try snugging up all the screws on the bottom to see if that helps. If not, a spacer might have to be taped to the switch or bottom cover to keep it in the on position.

Jack E/NJ

Answers

• JackE
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Some mainboards have a safety interlock switch that shuts off power intermittently if the bottom cover, misaligned or doors are loose. Try snugging up all the screws on the bottom to see if that helps. If not, a spacer might have to be taped to the switch or bottom cover to keep it in the on position.

Jack E/NJ

• Yazid
    Yazid Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    JackE said:
    Thanks for the answer it does help me
    i just have one more question if you don't mind
    is there any way i can access or deactivate this safety interlock sys or it's a bios option?
  • JackE
    Options
    No. It's a physical switch soldered to the mainboard to prevent short circuits and mainboard damage. Please do not try to deactivate it .

Jack E/NJ

• muhkuh
    muhkuh Member Posts: 1 New User
    edited February 8
    Options

I had the same issue. At the back of the laptop there are two panels that can be opened. The smaller one is for upgrading RAM. Open this. You need to remove a single screw and then carefully open the panel by sliding something under it and wiggling a bit. Once the lid is open the switch that caused the laptop to shut down was right next to the place where the screw was.

What is supposed to happen is that the back side of the lid holds a little switch down. There was some black foamy thing on the back side of the lid that should have pressed the switch. In my case it slipped off the switch when moving the laptop especially when grabbing it only on one side.

What I did was to add some small pieces of duck tape on top of the foamy thing to make it thicker. Worked well for me. The mysterious reboots stopped since then.