Spin 713 fan is now on almost continuously and the battery is draining extremely fast...

SteveinDanville
SteveinDanville Member Posts: 5 New User
edited April 2022 in Chromebooks
This just started today.  I did a "crosh" analysis to check the battery (a Google person suggested this) with Google Play Store turned on and with it off.  In both cases the battery is draining at 3.2% over a 5 minute test.  Over 20 minutes the battery dropped from 72.5% to 58.8%, and after 2 hours, it went from 100% to 40%.  The fan is now on almost constantly, and occasionally goes to high speed.  Supposedly Google is working on a known issue since October, but the latest info is that their have been so few reports that this is now on the back burner for a fix.  My screen has randomly been partially blacking out when reading on the Kindle app, in all kinds of large and small squares and rectangles, for the last couple of months.  What was a fantastic laptop is now almost useless.  It's been turned on for 2:45 and the battery is now at 22% and the fan is running at full speed.  What is going on???????

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,647 Trailblazer
    My guess is since you are talking about the Google Play Store that you have a Chromebook, not a Windows machine. Typically the fan is controlled based on CPU temperature, so it sounds like the CPU may be overheating. The fan speed is likely what is drawing the battery down, since the faster the fan is asked to spin, the more current it pulls. Try running COG to see what your temps are at...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SteveinDanville
    What's "COG"?
    At any rate, still being in warranty, Acer said to send it back and they'll get into it.  Should be interesting to see what it is.
  • billsey
    COG is a Chromebook app that displays info like the temperature.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • SteveinDanville
    What does "COG" stand for? Nothing shows up at all as COG in the Play Store...
  • billsey
    That is because it's in the Chrome Web Store, not in the Play Store, which is an Android thing:
  • SteveinDanville
    Got it back from Acer today with a new battery. We'll see...
  • billsey
    Let us know...
  • jasesun
    jasesun Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the i5 713-2W model. My fan turns on based on processor temps. If its above 105 F the fan goes on real low. If it just above 115 F its goes to a low-medium, above 125 its more medium, and above 145-150 is high and loud. 
    My problem is the play store. As soon as I open a single android app it begins stressing the processor my temps go to 160 F. If no apps are open I can have 5 youtube videos playing at 4k 60 fps and it won't go over 110 degrees. I can open linux on it and run firefox and a couple youtube videos on that and there is no problem. But as soon as a single Android app is opened its 100% processing power and fan kicks on into turbo mode. 
    The 713 has a problem with working with android. And honestly it worked fine with android apps in the beginning. If I had to guess it starting having an issue when android 11 became the standard on this model. Around Chrome OS95.  I can't say for sure but I believe its that. If I'm remembering right it worked fine when it was Android 9.  Also there are apps that don't work as well now that its Android 11. 
    Lastly this issue which has been happening over a year has really done a job on my battery health. I have something like 500 discharges now due to the play store pushing the processor and fan so much. 

• SteveinDanville

The new battery in my 713 worked well from January 2022 until about a month ago. Now it's back to the same old thing. Just reading the Kindle app with wifi turned off, it went from 100% to 48% in an hour and was down to 10% in 90 minutes when I shut it down. If I kill the Play Store, and then delete the Android folder in my microSD file, will this get rid of all my apps and leave me to get content from my Google browser only, and create bookmarks for all my most used sites? I tried to contact Acer on a chat yesterday and because my unit is now out of warranty, they won't even let me open a Chat session anymore. The replaced battery under warranty did not get any kind of warranty extension, so when 365 days hit last January, my support ended. I will never, ever, buy another Acer product.