Quick question about CPU Upgrade. TC-1660

conch13
conch13 Member Posts: 19 Troubleshooter
edited January 2022 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
So I'm just wondering if it is possible to upgrade my TC-1660 from an i5 11400 to a i9 11900k.

Both chips use the same LGA1200  socket but would there be anything else I would need to do?

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Best Answer

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

Technologies advance everyday. Little more than half year ago Intel came out with these 11th generation CPUs. Just half year later, the 12th generation CPUs came out and everything is like 20-30% faster than the 11th gen same model CPU.

I am pretty sure if you added a decent graphics card and RAM to this TC-1660, you should not be too disappointed.

Answers

• ttttt
    @conch13

If upgrade from i5-11400 to i9-11900K you can expect 50% increase in performance but at 145% increase in price. Basically you can use the same LGA 1200 slot for the upgrade.

i5-11400 uses 65 W power, while i9-11900k uses 125 W , so that will need to draw more power from the 12 volt only motherboard. May need a better CPU cooler for better cooling.

If you have a dedicated graphics card on your TC-1660 with the original PSU, it should be still O.K. but not much power margin left.

Already thinking about upgrading CPU on this new desktop ? I think the i5-11400 should be good enough for most users who do not need to do overclocking of CPU. Do you have performance issue with your TC-1660? I guess not.
  • conch13
    @ttttt

Thanks again for your timely responses.

I am thinking of upgrading the CPU in the future basically checking out my options  for upgrades. I really enjoy modding things and this computer is my new project.

It's kind of bare bones I find it's definitely not set up for gaming.

Eventually I plan on buying stuff slowly and upgrading what I can. I tried some games on steam and wasn't impressed with the kind of choppy graphics on low quality.

I have 2 Corsair Vengence 16gb ram card coming and I hope that makes a difference as it only has the one 8gb.

But I have been checking out upgrading the PSU  from 300w to 500w and getting a graphics card as well.

If I upgrade to the 500w I shouldn't have an issue with the cpu upgrade I assume?
  • conch13
    edited January 2022
    And I'm not looking at a serious gaming rig just kind of want to see what I can do with it! 
     I think I have to figure out some cooling solutions also because she gets pretty hot sometimes when I'm on it like 85°c cpu temp and I really don't think I'm pushing the system that hard.
  • ttttt
    Answer ✓
    @conch13

Technologies advance everyday. Little more than half year ago Intel came out with these 11th generation CPUs. Just half year later, the 12th generation CPUs came out and everything is like 20-30% faster than the 11th gen same model CPU.

I am pretty sure if you added a decent graphics card and RAM to this TC-1660, you should not be too disappointed.
  • conch13
    Awesome I really appreciate the advice I have a basic understanding amd havent worked on a computer in a decade but I'm trying to learn more and catch up with all these new fancy things! :#