Acer Predator x38p randomly flickering with pixel shimmering

kais44
kais44 Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter

I have a relatively new x38p (~1.5 months) that started flashing black in perfectly consistent 2 second intervals with pixel shimmering.

This is what it looks like: https://imgur.com/a/6ph18Tg

It will just randomly starting doing it and then after 30-120 minutes it'll be fine again for hours. It does this plugged in or not (i.e. it's not a DP/HDMI issue) and it's visible on the "Predator" splash screen when the monitor starts up. Changing any settings does nothing.

Anyone else ever have this?? I can't believe I spent so much money for a possible dud....

Answers

• kais44
    Using a vesa mount, angling it down 45 degrees randomly made it start working again for a few minutes then it started it again. It's also doing it constantly now, even after being off overnight... on hold with ACER, not sure anybody is working today :|
  • kais44
    1.5 hours on hold with ACER and nobody is answering... I'm absolutely regretting buying this. If you're reading this - AVOID ACER PRODUCTS LIKE THE PLAGUE.

I seem to able to make it stop for a short while by squeezing the bottom middle of the screen, near the power port. Wiggling the power cable doesn't stop the flickering but squeezing the bottom then releasing it does... this is insane...
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,700 Trailblazer
    My guess is they all got the day off on Monday for New YEars, since the actual holiday fell on Sunday. I'm a bit surprised the website didn't reflect that though.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kais44
    It could be that, but I was calling on a Monday here (Australia). The phone line kept saying, "We'll answer your call shortly" and I ended up just hanging up after 2 hours on hold - fun!

Anyways, the squeezing method on the bezel seems to make the monitor usable. It only starts flashing when it's moved or angled. At least it's semi-usable now.
  • billsey
    Let us know if they got in touch, or you managed to get them to answer...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • kais44
    It's taken about a week and 5 phone calls. They kept getting my email address wrong, my address wrong and they still can't spell my name, yet I'm 100% just happy that it's FINALLY getting picked up tomorrow. I just hope they don't take the full five weeks to fix it as they suggested...

At this rate the monitor will have been broken for longer that it's been working....
  • billsey
    Heheh, well at least the process is ... processing. Keep us informed.
  • kais44
    Monitor finally arrived at Acer as of this Monday (17th). Can anyone comment on how fast they generally are in Sydney, Australia for repairs? They quoted 7-15 business days, but I'm hoping that's worse case?
  • billsey
    I don't have insight specifically to Australia, but elsewhere in the world they've been slow during the pandemic. Fewer techs at the facility and fewer spare parts on hand...
  • kais44
    The monitor was returned a few days ago and is working again flawlessly. Ended up being 3 week turn around, which I'll admit isn't bad given how everything is with COVID.

The only minor critique was that I received no info or update, I just suddenly received a message whilst at work that it was being delivered (which I obviously missed). I'm not sure what they actually did to it, but at least it's working again....
  • kais44
    FFS.... it was working for a solid 4 days just fine and now it's started flashing black again.... I'll be pushing for a refund, this is pathetic. DO NOT BUY the X38P. >:(
  • kais44
    edited February 2022
    The warranty team have tried to prevent a refund because it was working for a few days before it started flashing black again. They offered to take it away for another month to repair it again (which clearly didn't work last time). When I instead stated I wanted a refund they refused.
    I flagged that the Australian consumer laws entitle me to a refund when the device hasn't been repaired in a reasonable time (this process has been going on for 1.5 months). They've now escalated it. I can't believe how difficult they've been given how long this monitor has been broken for, and to think they expect I'd be happy to have it taken away again?? Unbelievable.

I will never buy another ACER product again and frankly neither should you...

End rant... sorry :\

Edited the content to hide sensitive information
  • kais44
    edited February 2022
    Ok, so I bought a new monitor which arrives tomorrow (yay). On the other side I checked the x38p service menu and noticed a "DPTX Link Error count" goes up every time the screen flashes:

When the monitor randomly stops flashing, the count stops going up. Obviously it's to late for me as I'm pushing for a refund, but this post is for anyone else who randomly happens to get a dud with the same issue - good luck...

• meimeiriver
    meimeiriver Member Posts: 1 New User
    Disheartening to hear. Am looking to buy the X38S myself. Maybe I shouldn't. Thx for the heads-up.
  • kais44
    Don't do it. Going forward I'll be telling everyone I know to avoid ACER just based on this one warranty experience.
  • stevejhons12
    stevejhons12 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Using a VESA mount, inclination it down 45 degrees aimlessly made it start working again for many twinkles also it started it again. It's also doing it constantly now, indeed after being off overnight. on hold with ACER, not sure anybody is working moment. My conjecture is they all got the day off on Monday for New Times since the factual vacation fell on Sunday. I am a bit surprised the website did not reflect that, however. 

• kais44
    Using a VESA mount, inclination it down 45 degrees aimlessly made it start working again for many twinkles also it started it again. It's also doing it constantly now, indeed after being off overnight.
    Yep, for me it was very interemittent and weird tricks like this would fix it for a while, but it just gets worse and worse. Good luck with your warranty. They'll "fix" it, send it back and in a few days/week it'll just start doing it again.

• stevejhons12
    stevejhons12 Member Posts: 7 New User
    Using a vesa mount, inclination it down 45 degrees aimlessly made it start working again for a many twinkles also it started it again. It's also doing it constantly now, indeed after being off overnight. on hold with ACER, not sure anybody is working moment. My conjecture is they all got the day off on Monday for New Times, since the factual vacation fell on Sunday. I am a bit surprised the website did not reflect that however

• kais44
    Using a vesa mount, inclination it down 45 degrees aimlessly made it start working again 

Yep - same thing worked for me but only temporarily. Eventually the problem comes back again.

I bought this monitor in late November roughly, sent it back a second time now (been gone for almost a month now) and still nothing. Acer warranty has been the worst example of customer service I've ever experienced. I've told them bluntly I want a refund yet it still takes weeks and weeks.

Your monitor will never be fixed, ACER doesn't care. Log it with the consumer watchdog, seek a refund, and buy an alternative 38 screen from anyone but Acer.

• kais44
    and after three months I finally have my refund. Thanks for all the fish.