P253 P253-M-53234 G50 win 10 - stuck in boot manager. No access to BIOS or windows

Options

Answers

• lochgman
    lochgman Member Posts: 52 Troubleshooter
    Options
    hi don't know what is happening now - can only enter bold text. Thought pic of laptop was Utube video - pressed arrow then everthing went haywire - disconnected and had trouble getting back. Removing ssd - simple but keyboard is still disconnected. Will get a USB keyboard and try again when I get back from work.
    Problem: It's 21:00 and I have to be up at 04:30 to go to work - won't be back for 7 days (P253 at home - in bits) so will be in contact whilst at work in case of any other suggestions.
    I take it that I need to access bios to switch to legacy boot and disable secure boot (utube suggestions) but they don't seem to appreciate that I cannot even get Acer splash screen. Is there any way of testing keyboard whilst is disconnected? apart from on another macine.HH
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    With ssd disconnected, can you access the bios?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lochgman
    Options
    Don't know - am away from that laptop - at work until 12th - will check it out asap as I now have USB keyboard. Will be monitoring this post and listing any suggestions to try.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,779 Trailblazer
    Options
    No, you definitely do not want to switch to Legacy boot, that's only valid for operating systems Windows 7 and earlier. You want to stay in UEFI boot for later Windows 7, 8, 8.1, 10 or 11. What we are trying to determine is whether the issue is a hardware issue with the keyboard forcing entry to boot manager when you power up, or whether it's an issue with your boot environment, like a failing drive. Once we have determined that it is not the keyboard we will likely boot into a Windows install flash drive and do some tests to determine if there is a drive issue. If the drive is good we can get into the more complex stuff, like a corrupt Windows image or virus related issues...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lochgman
    Options
    Ok - that sounds like a plan. Back home Tues night so will be trying suggestions Weds pm. Thank you for your help.
  • billsey
    Options
    Keep us informed...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lochgman
    Options
    Back again. Tried USB keyboard with laptop keyboard disconnected, no ssd drive, USB win 10 install drive - all permutations - still no joy. Where do I go from here?
  • billsey
    Options
    It's getting weird for sure. :) I can't think of a scenario where it could even get to the boot menu without doing POST, and the Acer splash screen is part of POST. Have you installed a different OS at some point or flashed a BIOS update? Do you know which BIOS version is installed?
  • lochgman
    Options
    OK - machine bought as a refurbished unit. Original OS Win 8 ( according to label on underside). As to BIOS update - No idea - I haven't altered it, may be able to find out from seller - if he'll talk to me! Where can I find BIOS version? One thing - I normally use hibernate to switch off, think I noticed when I come out of hibernation on this Acer 5729 the F2 message for BIOS access doesn't appear! Happen that is why I can't access BIOS on P253! 
    Do you Know how I can check boot files on P253 SSD - I have a USB/SATA cable - what am I looking for, and where? Just to check that they are present.
    You mentioned virus in an earlier post - is there one that would be able to do this?
    Grasping at straws, but trying to understand what has happened, and how it should work.
    Thanks for getting back to me - much appreciated
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Try disconnecting the Lition battery, the RTC battery and press the power button for sixty seconds.
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lochgman
    Options
    assume you mean the power and CMOS batteries - don't know of any others - but after removing them and pressing power-on - then what?
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Turn the computer back on and check if the problem still occurs.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lochgman
    Options
    Not fixed - still the same. 
  • lochgman
    Options
    HELP   Trying something else.....How do I make a recovery USB drive that will work in UEFI - I think the one I have will only work with Legacy. Still cannot access BIOS to change settings.
  • billsey
    Options
    Make a Windows install flash drive and use that for the recovery tools. It sounds like you have been able to boot it to Windows at some point, right?
  • lochgman
    Options
    Not recently - am using wife's Win 10 laptop. My P253 is still stuck in boot manager screen. F2 does not give me access to BIOS - I think it may have something to do with hibernation - the message on startup does not appear.
  • lochgman
    Options
    The recovery USB is FAT32 format - should this work? or does it have to be GPT - if so how do I make one?
  • lochgman
    Options
    Am trying to figure out why my P253 is not booting up - Will Secure Boot being enabled interfere with boot operations - eg when using a recovery disk, or will having a MBR formatted USB stick stop it booting
  • lochgman
    Options
    Still cannot get into BIOS - F2 etc does not work - anybody have an idea how I can resolve yhis - other than consigning it to the skip.
  • Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Can you record a video of the problem and post it on youtube? That way we can see exactly what is happening.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer