P253 P253-M-53234 G50 win 10 - stuck in boot manager. No access to BIOS or windows

lochgman
lochgman Member Posts: 52 Troubleshooter
edited January 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa
Think it may be due to UEFI incompatibility as trying to boot with USB recovery disk (fat32) from another laptop (media creation tool). Any help with getting this resolved appreciated.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,942 Trailblazer
    edited January 2022
    lochgman said:
    Think it may be due to UEFI incompatibility as trying to boot with USB recovery disk (fat32) from another laptop (media creation tool). Any help with getting this resolved appreciated.

How to Get to Windows 10's Advanced Startup Options Menu

• Method 1: Hit F11 as soon as the laptop powers on, as that will get you to the Advanced mode.
    • Method 2: Boot off of an Install Disk. The install USB has to be formatted in GUID as FAT 32 won’t work if your boot drive is UEFI or visa versa.
    • Method 3: Wait for Your Computer to Take You There. If Windows 10 encounters a startup error, it may eventually take you to the Advance screen?
    • Method 4: Hit Restart with Shift Key Down. If you can make it to the Windows 10 login screen?

Then use the Startup Repair options first and if that dosent work then use the System Restore options.

• lochgman
    This may answer the question - 1 & 2 may work but I don't get as far as Acer splash screen and definitely no sign of windows.

I take it that I should format the USB disc as GUID ( never come across this before!) then carry on with making recovery disc from media creation tool.
    Thanks for your prompt reply - will try it later this evening

Happy New Year 
  • What happens when you press alt+f10, before the acer logo?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lochgman
    Nothing - just goes to boot manager { No bootable device. Hit any key)
  • lochgman
    Same response with F11
  • lochgman
    Format options - FAT32, EX FAT ?? or NTFS (win Vista) - is GUID option available in Win 10?
  • Is the acer logo showing?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • lochgman
    No - only boot manager message then boot device list.
  • OK! Does an image similar to this one appear?
    Stuck on a neverending boot menu  rWindows10

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lochgman
    Similar - see below
    Boot Option Menu
    1.HDD
    2. DVD device
    3. Network Boot
    If I boot up with USB connected then this appears as No.4
  • When you disconnect ssd or hdd, can you access the bios?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lochgman
    No change - HDD missing from boot device list
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    What happens if you press and hold the BIOS entry key (F2 usually) while turning it on? That menu should only come up with the F12 pressed and Boot Menu enabled in the BIOS. You can also just disconnect the keyboard before booting to see if it's a stuck key.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lochgman
    Nothing - just goes to boot manager - removing keyboard may change things - not easy to reconnect ribbon cable and no keyboard = no control. What would you expect it to do with no keyboard attached?
  • What is the exact model? Example P253-MG-528V

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• lochgman
    P253-M-53234 G50
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    If the issue were a stuck key on the keyboard (or appropriately shorted internally) then a disconnect would allow a normal boot, at least to the keyboard check in POST. You could plug an external keyboard to verify everything else works. If it still goes into the same thing as with the keyboard connected then we should be able to look at other things than keyboard...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • lochgman
    Will give it a go - just have to find a USB keyboard. Will report back soon-ish
  • lochgman
    No Change - as before, just boot manager message. What's next?

• Have you tried disconnecting ssd and hdd?
    Then press f2 to try to access the bios. Could the f2 key be related to this issue?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer