New laptop screen keeps dimming by itself, have tried everything Aspire A515-55

Options
2»

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,577 Trailblazer
    Options
    The best way to rule in or rule out a hardware is a full erase everything ALT+F10 cold boot reset. If it doesn't fix the issue then if it was mine I'd return it before Jan 28th. This is abnormal behavior for a new laptop.

Our extended Christmas returns policy

We’ve extended our usual limit for returns just for the festive season. Any gift bought between 1 October 2021 and 24 December 2021 can be returned up until 28 January 2022, if it’s unwanted or unsuitable.

https://www.johnlewis.com/customer-services/returns?dt=informationOnOurReturnsPolicy

Jack E/NJ

• Ov1lord
    Ov1lord Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

The problem is very simple. It's from the integrated graphics drivers. And more specifically from the Intel uhd graphics software. They have this stupid option called "display power saving technology" and you need to disable it every time you turn on your laptop.. Yeah I know, the guy who had the idea should be fired. People don't want adaptive brightness

• AntonLitvin
    AntonLitvin Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

Options

I have the same problem with screen, did You found solution?

• acoorsjr
    acoorsjr Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

I was having the same issue and finally figured it out for my ACER Swift 3 laptop. Unchecking the "Help improve battery by optimizing the content shown and brightness" did the trick.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,537 Trailblazer
    edited April 2023
    Options

You wrote:

Turning off adaptive brightness in display settings -- I don't have this option in my display settings.

But did you check Acer Care and Quick Access? I disabled Acer Care so I cannot check that but Quick Access has this "Color Intelligence" switch that has the effect of dimming and only works with the power adapter plugged in for some weird reason.

I had this dimming issue with my 4 year old a515-54G and installed the latest GPU driver from Intel (2022) not with Intel's Driver Assistant but downloaded it manually from Intel's driver store, had to use DDU in Safe Mode and W11 kept replacing it with Acer's 2019 GPU driver version but finally W11 22H2 no longer changes it.

BTW I uninstalled Intel's GPU control panel as there were some conflicting power settings with Windows Power plan.

• katsaSurvivor
    katsaSurvivor Member Posts: 3 New User
    edited October 2023
    Options

I had the same exact problem but fixed it, thought on a lenovo yoga laptop. turns out it was the graphic card dimming my screen. I fixed it by

1 - uninstalling the app 'Intel Graphics Command Center'.

2 - reinstalling the same app from microsoft store. (I could now access a menu i wasn´t able to in the first place)

3 - open the app. go onto System - Power - & turn off (Dispay Power Savings). the other option "adaptive brightness was already turned off for me, but if its on you could turn that off as well.

It should now be fixed.

• RDBell
    RDBell Member Posts: 16 Troubleshooter
    Options

Just tried this, unfortunately there is still no Power option for me. The only options under System are Hotkeys, GPUs and Hardware, none of which say anything about adaptive brightness.

• RDBell
    Options

My settings don't look like that, I don't have that option sadly

• RDBell
    Options

I haven't actually seen Acer Quick Access before, but Colour Intelligence is already off. Also, my problem is only when the power adapter is unplugged.

• RDBell
    Options

I don't have anything called Intel UHD Graphics Control Panel, and it doesn't appear to be available from the Microsoft Store to download either.

• RDBell
    Options

Nope, sadly not. For the most part I leave my laptop plugged in, or just deal with the screen going dim when I unplug it. It's been a year since you posted this, did you ever manage to find a solution?

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,537 Trailblazer
    Options

Switching from adapter to battery power will throttle the CPU and reduce screen brightness, turn off battery saver in Windows and change the advanced settings in your Power Plan "When on battery".

• katsaSurvivor
    Options

As said, I had the exact same problem and this was my solution. So i think your solution could be somewhat similar. have you got a different graphic card to what i have maybe? Its a setting i couldnt acces through the control-panel but that i had to download an app to be able to change. This is what it looked like for me vs for somebody else when i googled: "intel graphics command center display power settings".

Adaptiv ljusstyrka: adaptive brightness. Energibesparing skräm: Display Power Savings.

and yeah. I´ve not had a problem since.

Here is a link to the app from Microsoft Store: https://www.microsoft.com/store/productid/9PLFNLNT3G5G?ocid=pdpshare

• katsaSurvivor
    edited October 2023
    Options

When i first openend the app i didnt have the "Power" option/menu either. it was simply not there. After I uninstalled & reinstalled it the "Power" section appeared. I installed it from the 'Microsoft store app' but you could always try installing it from a web-browser or if you can find an earlier version of this app.

When i toggle over the app where i normally press uninstall. there is also another option: "more" →" appsettings" from where i can 'close', 'repair' or 'reset' the app. So, maybe clearing it´s "cache/data" as you would do on an android phone before uninstalling it will cause the power menu to appear when installing it again.