Aspire a515-51-563w. Backlight Keyboard ?

Options
ttiiggy
ttiiggy Member Posts: 4 New User
Aspire a515-51-563w.   Backlight Keyboard ?

I need a new keyboard anyway.  Can I get a keyboard with a backlight?  An Amazon seller says yes.  Is it real?  Direct replacement? 

Best Answer

Answers

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Yea! But you need to check if this connector is soldered:

See how to change the keyboard:
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,483 Trailblazer
    Options
    You should have a mainboard kbl connector as shown below. While the backlit keyboard itself is relatively inexpensive, it does involve work in replacing the old keyboard in the top frame. You can find youtube videos on replacing the keyboard by googling a515-51 disassembly keyboard

Jack E/NJ

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Hi @ttiiggy,

Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customerselfcare.acer.com/CS2/#/

• ttiiggy
    Options
    Finally getting back to this.  Got first level of tear apart. 
    My motherboard looks different but I do have the connector labeled JBL1  1. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Then you can have a backlit keyboard. But replacing the KB is still not a straightforward task unless you replace the entire top cover with a pre-assembled backlit keyboard..

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    ttiiggy said:
    Finally getting back to this.  Got first level of tear apart. 
    My motherboard looks different but I do have the connector labeled JBL1  1. 
    So supports a backlit keyboard:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cHC34Tl7PAw

Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • ttiiggy
    edited May 2022
    Options
    Done.  It works. 

I had a number of keys broken anyway so I needed to replace the keyboard. 
    I didn't find a new lighted keyboard with the frame so I pretty much had to do it this way. 
    The YouTube video helped out a bunch.
    I stacked a number of tubs for screws from various stages of dis-assembly. 
    Label connectors.  Take pictures along the way. 
    I carved the plastic tabs off with a razor blade instead of using a Dremel. 
    I tried melting weed-whacker line to connect the plastic tabs back in.  It didn't stick well at all. 
    I ended up using HIGH heat level of hot glue. 
    Heated the metal part with the end of the hot glue gun a bit before squirting glue to hold it together. 
    I have found that trying to stick hot glue to cold metal doesn't seem to work very well. 
    Hot glue, hot metal, hold for less than a minute for it to cool and it seems to stick well. 
    VERY tedious process.  Happy to have fully functional keyboard AND it has lights. 

I didn't find any reference to Keyboard Back Light in BIOS v1.12. 
    I see there are several higher BIOS levels but I didn't bother to try to update. 
    If there was a specific mention of BackLight in a BIOS version description then I might. 
  • JackE
    Options
    Thanks for reporting back on your success. :)

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Congratulations on your success.

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

• ttiiggy
    Options
    Tried to start laptop this morning.  Got no VIDEO. 
    I can see the keyboard is lit up. 
    It worked fine last night. 

Took the bottom cover off and looked.  Can't SEE anything that looks loose or pinched. 
    Put it back together.  Won't work with all the screws in the cover. 

Took the screws out of the bottom cover and tried again and it works fine. 
    Put a few screws back in and it still works. 

Something cracked? and screws pull it loose? 
    I don't see anything that I think has one of my Hot Glue lumps that would be too high and make something flex.  ??

I am leaving some screws out for now but makes me nervous. 

Thoughts? 
  • JackE
    Options
    Check your LCD video cable connectors and for cable damage especially in hinge area

Jack E/NJ

• Commodore_1995#
    Options
    Have you tried resetting the battery?

egydiocoelho Trailblazer