Can I use the USB 3.1 port as a connector to an external keyboard with a USB 3.1 to USB-C adapter?

WillyBoi122
WillyBoi122 Member Posts: 1 New User
So the main point is that my laptop which is the Acer switch alpha 12 can connect to an external keyboard using the USB 3.1 port and using an adapter. On the right of the screen, it said that the USB 3.1 port is used for data, display, and power and I'm not sure if it works if I use an adapter to use for a keyboard when it is used for data, display, and power. 

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,933 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    So the main point is that my laptop which is the Acer switch alpha 12 can connect to an external keyboard using the USB 3.1 port and using an adapter. On the right of the screen, it said that the USB 3.1 port is used for data, display, and power and I'm not sure if it works if I use an adapter to use for a keyboard when it is used for data, display, and power. 

Yes you can but the Alpha 12's USB Type C is a 3.1 Gen 1 that works at a max of5 Gb/s and does not have the same specs as the USB Type C 3.1 Gen 2 at 10Gb/s specs. Using a USB 3.1 adaptor plugged into the existing Alpha 12 tablets USB 3.0 blue plug (5.0Gbps (640MB/s) will not work at USB 3.1 max 10Gbps (1280MB/s) specs, the 1x USB blue connectors is 3.0 USB Blue is also a compatible port with earlier USB devices like 2.0 480Mbps (60MB/s) but and for optimal performance use USB 3.0-certified devices as they are defined by the USB 3.0 specification (SuperSpeed USB). So, it doesn’t matter if your new external keyboard is USB 3.1 or USB 3.0 or USB 2.0 as they will all work with the USB blue connector but and with the USB 3.1 it will work at USB 3.0 specs and the USB 2.0 at its slower specs.

Btw, Acer specifies that the USB type C connector on your Alpha 12 only supports USB 3.1 Type-C, Gen 1 with display, power delivery and transfer speeds of up to 5 Gb/s as there are two USB type C versions, one is the USB 3.1 Gen 1 that runs at max 5 Gb/s and the higher USB 3.1 Gen 2 runs at max 10 Gb.s.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,719 Trailblazer
    And either will be much more than enough speed to handle a keyboard. :) (How fast can you type anyway?)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.