ACER P253 Intel Core i3 - 3rd gen - Max RAM capability: can it really take up to 16GB of RAM?

JBarrett
JBarrett Member Posts: 3 New User
Hello y'all!

Very first post here; proud to enter the Acer community! :)

I've recently scored a bargain on three P253 laptops, two of which I've upgraded as much as I could:

- BIOS
- Battery
- SSD
- RAM

One runs Linux Mint Cinnamon (for everyday office use), the other Windows 10 (as a 90s/00s retro-game machine).

These particular models can officially hold a maximum of 8GB of DD3 RAM (1600mhz). However, here are two links which actually report that it is possible to install up to 16GB of RAM:

For both of my upgraded models, I've actually tried to install 16GB of RAM divided into two identical wafers of 8GB each. The BIOS however keeps recognizing only 8GB. Is there a workaround for this issue, or are the sources reported in the links claiming something that is not true?

Any help would be highly appreciated ;)B)

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,789 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    I'm guessing the 8GB stick looks to the system like it is two 4GB sticks, so when one is installed there's no space left for another stick...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• billsey
    There are at least three different model lines for the TravelMate P253 series. I think yours is likely to be one of the TravelMate P253-M models, though I believe those are 2nd gen. Spec does say 8GB max, the chipset supports 16GB, but only with four 4GB sticks, and there are only two sockets on your motherboard.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • JBarrett
    Hello Billsey,

Thank you for your reply!

While not yet sure, I believe that the laptops in my possession could be the 2nd gen models. However, one out of two 8GB sticks for each of the two upgraded laptops work perfectly, so I also believe that the chipset can successfully recognize sticks of that size.

I've made another attempt by adding one of my leftover 4GB sticks onto the second socket of my third laptop, and I found out that the laptop won't also recognize the second stick in the second socket.

This oddity is leading me to think that there might be a common issue in all three laptops to actually recognize the second stick in the second socket.

I appreciate nonetheless your knowledgeful answer. Given this new evidence, do you have another possible hypothesis behind this issue?

Thank you again for your help! :)
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    I'm guessing the 8GB stick looks to the system like it is two 4GB sticks, so when one is installed there's no space left for another stick...
  • JBarrett
    edited December 2021
    Thank you Billsey,

albeit limited to 8GB, all of my laptops seem to be working fine. Can't hide my wish for an extended memory, but can't either complain for the deal I've got.

Cheers!