Laptop with external monitor,while playing sound on it, Acer R271B

Options
GalloKata
GalloKata Member Posts: 1 New User
edited December 2021 in Monitors

Greetings everyone, 

I have an issue that I do not understand with a recent purchase of a monitor. My grandfather acquired an Acer R271B external monitor to connect to his laptop so that he can see on a bigger screen. However, when the monitor is not "active" it goes in a passive mode where the internal speakers lose their set gain and go to full gain for the duration of standby. This behaviour is observed only because the laptop he is connecting the monitor with has set to play media even after the laptop lid is closed or some time has passed and the screen turned dark. 

At this moment I do not have the SN of the monitor since I have to ask him about the SN and he is a bit computer illiterate, but if it is required I will call him and get the SN. 

The configuration is as follows: Acer laptop (Win8.1) with Acer R271B external monitor connected through HDMI (mirror, same view on both).

While using the laptop and playing Audio through the monitor's speakers, Audio level is set to desired value (say 30%).

If he goes away from the laptop for enough time so that Standby settings kick in, then the monitor turns black and the Audio level is set to what I assume is maximum, since it is significantly louder.

If he moves around his mouse or do any action to get out of Standby, the monitor(s) turn on and the audio level gets reset to what it was before.

He only has one monitor (so no other to check the behaviour with) and I haven t manually updated his drivers in a while. I have not tried updating the drivers past the last updates I did for them. And I do not find anything similar about this behaviour in other posts.

Besides updating drivers or disabling Standby, is there something I am missing? Or is there a physical bug for this particular monitor?

He is reluctant to disable standby because he wants to play music on the laptop through the monitor speakers and doesnt want to pay more electricity to have the screen on. Please help with some ideas about this or about what I can instruct him to do. Or is this behaviour the same for all monitors? 

Thank you! 

Answers

• Jeyam
    Jeyam Member Posts: 348 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Options

Hi @ GalloKata 

Turn the external monitor on and set to HDMI screen. Boot up your laptop from a shutdown position (not restart). Your laptop will now recognize the external monitor and will acknowledge its presence. Right-click the speaker icon on the task bar and choose View Volume Controls