Power on AC Option in BIOS? - Acer Aspire 5 A515-51G-53V6 Laptop

Options
kszarka
kszarka Member Posts: 4 New User
edited December 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello, I have the below referenced Acer Aspire 5 laptop and would like to configure the BIOS such that it will automatically boot up when I plug in the charger. I have already updated the BIOS to the latest version available on Acer's website but cannot find the AC / power management menu at all in the BIOS. See photos attached. Where do I go to access this?

Acer Laptop Aspire 5
Intel Core i5 8th Gen 8250U (1.60 GHz)
8 GB Memory 256 GB SSD
NVIDIA GeForce MX150
15.6" Screen
Windows 10 Home
64-Bit
A515-51G-53V6

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    Options

You can’t find it because it doesn’t have one, the laptop BIOS’s are not as intricate and like the desktops BIOS.

• kszarka
    edited December 2021
    Options
    StevenGen said:

You can’t find it because it doesn’t have one, the laptop BIOS’s are not as intricate and like the desktops BIOS.

So there's no way to boot my laptop (other than use the power button) while it's stored in a closed lid position?

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,623 Trailblazer
    Options
    You can change all the ControlPanel power button app settings to low power sleep mode for days with the lid closed. When you open the lid, the machine is immediately ready to use.

Jack E/NJ

• kszarka
    Options
    JackE said:
    You can change all the ControlPanel power button app settings to low power sleep mode for days with the lid closed. When you open the lid, the machine is immediately ready to use.
    Well, I was doing that up until now.--Then my motherboard got fried and I had to replace it. Not if it was because of doing exactly as you said but I'd much prefer a way to easily turn it on and off in the closed position, as opposed to a wake/sleep setting.
  • JackE
    Options
    How did it get fried?

Jack E/NJ

• kszarka
    Options
    JackE said:
    How did it get fried?
    Well I don't know for sure but since working from home starting back in March of 2020, I've been putting this laptop into sleep mode (and wake upon lid) so I can quickly switch my dual monitor setup from work laptop to personal laptop. I wonder if that type of setup fried it. The laptop was only 2.5 years old when it it happened.
  • JackE
    Options
    That might happen if the mainboard Hall magnet sensor failed. The Hall chip senses a magnet that's located near the base of screen lid. When the lid is closed, the hall sensor detects the lid magnet and shuts off the screen even if not in sleep mode. If it fails, the screen stays powered. This can overheat mainboard components in the closed position.

Jack E/NJ