AeroBlade 3D GPU Fan Replacement (And a cautionary tale of SourceITStore) PH315-52.

Options
AnoMoss
AnoMoss Member Posts: 2 New User
edited December 2021 in Predator Laptops
Hello all! 

I have been going through quite the ordeal with replacing the failing GPU fan in my PH315-52.
The installed fan is an OEM metal AeroBlade 3D fan (Acer part number 23.Q5MN4.001)

My question to the community and Acer is simple: Was I sent the correct part and the AeroBlade 3D OEM fan should be replaced with a generic plastic alternative?

The background......

On Acers recommendation for authorized parts suppliers, I went to SourceITStore to order my part:
https://www.sourceitstore.com/product/23-q5mn4-001/ (At the time the listing had a picture of the AeroBlade 3D fan)

My initial issue was this shipped from Canada and I had no way of knowing it would before I ordered. (I mean maybe if I dug in with research, but it wasn't clear from the listing or the pages I hit leading up to finding that part listing)  This isn't a big deal really but I didn't have an option or indication of this before the order was placed.... and this is now a problem as I am looking at a return.

Once I received the part it was clear that it was not a OEM metal AeroBlade 3D fan.... It was instead the aftermarket plastic alternative that can be had for 1/4 the cost of an OEM AeroBlade.  This is the exact part that was actually sent to me in place of the OEM part:

Amazon example

ebay example

And some pictures of my OEM part and what was actually delivered to me:

You can see in the pictures that the invoice packaged with the part, and the customs declaration on the outside, all support that this should be an OEM metal bladed fan.... which it clearly isn't.

While this fan will fit, and will move air.... it's not what I wanted.  I knew the aftermarket plastic fan was an option but I wanted to keep the performance of the OEM fan (Which according to Acer is 35% more airflow with -26% less noise source )

When I reached out to SourceITSupport about this things quickly fell apart. (I would attach a redacted copy of the email chain but the forum TOS seem to prohibit this as SourceITStore is affiliated with Acer)

me:

I Just received this part today and this is NOT an OEM part.  This is a knockoff plastic fan that you can get anywhere for $15 and it not the high end metal bladed OEM fan. (AeroBlade 3D Fan)

Very disappointed this was marketed as an OEM metal bladed fan when it is clearly the cheap plastic aftermarket replacement.  The packaging material even supports that this is supposed to be an OEM metal bladed fan and it’s clearly not.

SourceITStore reply:

This is actually the replacement fan from Acer. They replaced the Metal Bladed fan with this Plastic version I assume due to problems with the metal blades much like you experienced.

I can assure you this is an Acer original part.

If you would like to return it, please let us know and we can arrange that for you. 

me:

Yes I want a refund as I don’t think this is accurate at all.  If I was ok with using the aftermarket plastic replacement I would have just bought one for $15 and been done, but I instead went out to Acer to find your store as an OEM part supplier.  Even your site and packing materials support that this is supposed to be a metal bladed fan.  They did not change out a key design and selling point for a plastic alternative…. this is just not accurate at all and I hope you aren’t trying to tell people this to make up for shipping them inferior/fake parts. They still market and sell this tech….
https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/acerdesign-aeroblade3d

Please advise on next steps.

SourceITStore reply:

That is not a problem. We however are an authorized Acer parts distributor and you can choose to take our word for it or not that is your prerogative. Also when you say inferior product, is it possible that the metal blade fan may have actually turned out to be inferior, hence why they removed it?

None the less, your RMA number is............

Admittedly I came in a bit hot and shouldn't have.... but the response wasn't acceptable to me at all so I attempted to confirm this with Acer support.  That too was a nightmare as no one would help me.  I got transferred around more times than you can imagine.  It got kind of entertaining at one point until it wasn't.  Promises were made for callbacks, escalation, emails, and none of that happened.  Terrible support/customer service experience from Acer.  So no one from Acer knows if the AeroBlade fan is being replaced with a plastic alternative as SourceITStore claims and I'm stuck here (Or more likely they won't confirm this for me because it's part of a dispute with one of their authorized parts suppliers).

SourceITStore has offices and warehouses in the US yet they are requiring me to send the part back on my own dime to Canada.  So I was sent the equivalent of a rock in place of the OEM fan I ordered and for me to get my money back I need to ship said rock back to Canada on my own dime.

I wasn't happy with SourceITStores attempt to sell this off as an OEM part, and offer such a lame claim to support that is indeed OEM.  I was even less happy with Acers total lack of support and run around up to this point.

And a cherry to top it off...
After I received the part I was asked to review it and I gladly did!
Here is what I submitted and it was approved and posted to the reviews section of the product page for some time:

And if you go and look at the product page now my review is gone.  They pulled it down and now the listing has no indication that it's not an OEM part.  Pretty deceitful to hide critical reviews and only leave positive. 

So.... What's the word Acer? Is this the correct replacement for our laptops?  How about from the community: What's your recent experience with warranty repair or purchase through authorized dealers?  Did you get an OEM AeroBlade or a generic plastic replacement? If you received a plastic replacement did you challenge it and what was the response?

Thanks all!

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,517 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    AnoMoss said:
    Hello all! 

I have been going through quite the ordeal with replacing the failing GPU fan in my PH315-52.
    The installed fan is an OEM metal AeroBlade 3D fan (Acer part number 23.Q5MN4.001)

My question to the community and Acer is simple: Was I sent the correct part and the AeroBlade 3D OEM fan should be replaced with a generic plastic alternative?

The OEM Acer parts number and what the fans should look like are like below for the Left & Right Fans for your PH315-52. The part number that you quoted is for the "GPU Left Fan" which the part number is correct as its the 23.Q5MN4.001. Looking at the PH315-52 Acer SG photo of the "Left Fan" and what you got its the same and btw these fans are all made in China and they are of dubious quality as the OEM's fail just like the aftermarket ones do, plus its not like this is a huge expense as this fan is US $13.50 per fan of either the CPU or the GPU fans to change them, yes you have to take the laptop apart but this is part and parcel of owning a gaming laptop as you also have to periodically repaste the CPU/GPU and its no big drama =) .  

FAN – L - FAN MODULE - part number: 23.Q5MN4.001:

FAN – R - FAN MODULE - part number 23.Q5MN4.002

This an aftermarket fan for the PH315-52 at US 13.50 each 

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited December 2021 Answer ✓
    Options
    AnoMoss said:
    Hello all! 

The OEM Acer parts number and what the fans should look like are like below for the Left & Right Fans for your PH315-52. The part number that you quoted is for the "GPU Left Fan" which the part number is correct as its the 23.Q5MN4.001. Looking at the PH315-52 Acer SG photo of the "Left Fan" and what you got its the same and btw these fans are all made in China and they are of dubious quality as the OEM's fail just like the aftermarket ones do, plus its not like this is a huge expense as this fan is US $13.50 per fan of either the CPU or the GPU fans to change them, yes you have to take the laptop apart but this is part and parcel of owning a gaming laptop as you also have to periodically repaste the CPU/GPU and its no big drama =) .  

• AnoMoss
    AnoMoss Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2021
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    AnoMoss said:
    Hello all! 

StevenGen said:
    AnoMoss said:
    Hello all! 

So I was indeed sent a aftermarket part!  Take care when considering SourceITStore.  Major fail for Acer support. You wouldn't believe the run around they gave me.  I was a long time Acer buyer and frequent promoter.... all undone by a fan! Worth it!!

P.S. I love that you linked and provided images for the exact aftermarket part that they sent me.  <3
  • StevenGen
    Options
    AnoMoss said:
    StevenGen said:
    AnoMoss said:
    Hello all! 

StevenGen said:
    AnoMoss said:
    Hello all! 

So I was indeed sent a aftermarket part!  Take care when considering SourceITStore.  Major fail for Acer support. You wouldn't believe the run around they gave me.  I was a long time Acer buyer and frequent promoter.... all undone by a fan! Worth it!!

P.S. I love that you linked and provided images for the exact aftermarket part that they sent me.  <3
    As I said, that is the risk that you take with replacement parts but its good that you bought from Acer as you get the warranty compared to a seller on eBay that might be there one minute and gone the next. Hope I've helped you out.
  • angomy
    angomy Member Posts: 48 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited May 2023
    Options

I know it's resurrecting a dead thread, but they ripped me off too ($60 for a plastic fan that matched a $20 generic chinese fan I found on Amazon, even after I had inquired before purchase and they assured me it was the genuine aeroblade fan I was getting). Emailed back and forth about how they lied to me, and they ended with "i'm not sure how we can make you happy". Are you kidding me? How about you actually send me the genuine part I paid for?

Authorized Acer reseller who can't be trusted apparently. I would be 200% wary of ordering any replacement parts from this store.

This is the aftermarket fan they sent instead of the genuine replacement fan. Total BS.