Nitro XV2 is locked to 60Hz?

rafrennie
rafrennie Member Posts: 4 New User
I have a 28" Nitro XV2 Gaming Monitor and I no matter what I try it is locked to 60Hz though it said advertised as being 144Hz.
In all the Advanced Monitor Settings / Display Information it says the monitor is only 60Hz.

Am I missing something here, how would I get it to 144Hz, or is the monitor actually only 60Hz?

Answers

• rafrennie said:
    I have a 28" Nitro XV2 Gaming Monitor and I no matter what I try it is locked to 60Hz though it said advertised as being 144Hz.
    In all the Advanced Monitor Settings / Display Information it says the monitor is only 60Hz.

Am I missing something here, how would I get it to 144Hz, or is the monitor actually only 60Hz?
    Give us the model number of the system you are running this Nitro XV2 on? As it could be that your systems GPU does not support 144 Hz? Give us more details of whats going on? As it could be numerous factors why you are only getting 60 hz? First and foremost, the monitor cables you need for 144Hz refresher rate are not all the same as there are a lot of different types of display interface cables available out there e.g. VGA, HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, and more. However, many mistakenly think that it depends on the cable if your monitor and PC will be able to support 144 Hz but this is not the case at all. Everything depends on the "Input and Output ports that you will find on the back of your monitor and PC/GPU or side ofyour laptop plugs". Yes, the quality of the cable matters which means you should not use a cable that you got from a non-branded manufacturer but if you are using a cable from a reliable and reputable brand or the cable that came with your monitor, it will be enough to support 144 Hz. Below are the cables and thei specs : 

HDMI 1.0 to 1.3 - primarily, these versions of HDMI do not support a 144 Hz refresh rate.

HDMI 1.4 or 1.4b- is suitable for supporting 144 Hz at a resolution of up to 1080p. However, there are some specific monitors that can only support up to 120 Hz at 1080p resolution. So, you should check that first if your monitor is capable of handling 144 Hz over HDMI.

HDMI 2.0 to 2.2 - if you want to surely run 144 Hz over HDMI, then you can get a monitor with at least HDMI 2.0 input. Because HDMI 2.0 and later versions can handle even up to 240 Hz refresh rates over HDMI at a resolution of 1080p. And at 1440p resolution, it can handle up to 144 Hz refresh rate.

DVI - out of all the DVI’s only the Dual-Link DVI D interface can handle 144 Hz at a resolution up to 1080p. Single-link DVI-D is not able to handle higher refresh rates.

DisplayPort - is one of the latest additions to the digital audio and video interfaces. There are a number of versions of DisplayPort. Interestingly, most of these DisplayPort versions support a 144 Hz refresh rate.

DisplayPort 1.2 - port can handle 240 Hz at 1080p resolution. Additionally, if you are using a 1440p monitor, it will be able to handle up to 165 Hz refresh rate.

DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 - both DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 can handle very high bandwidth. For instance, these can support up to 240 Hz at a resolution of 1440p. However, DisplayPort 1.4 supports ‘Display Stream Compression’ or DSC. With this feature, the monitor with DisplayPort 1.4 will be able to run 144 Hz at 4K resolution as well.

VGA - VGA does not support the 144 Hz refresh rate at all.

• rafrennie
    I'm running it as an external to my laptop, a ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401. Has a Ryzen 9 4900HS with a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060.
    The out port is a HDMI 2.0b to the monitor's HDMI 2.1, I'm also just using the cable the was included that says it's an HDMI 2.1 8K cable.
  • rafrennie
    StevenGen said:
    rafrennie said:

Give us the model number of the system you are running this Nitro XV2 on? As it could be that your systems GPU does not support 144 Hz? Give us more details of whats going on? As it could be numerous factors why you are only getting 60 hz? First and foremost, the monitor cables you need for 144Hz refresher rate are not all the same as there are a lot of different types of display interface cables available out there e.g. VGA, HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort, and more. However, many mistakenly think that it depends on the cable if your monitor and PC will be able to support 144 Hz but this is not the case at all. Everything depends on the "Input and Output ports that you will find on the back of your monitor and PC/GPU or side ofyour laptop plugs". Yes, the quality of the cable matters which means you should not use a cable that you got from a non-branded manufacturer but if you are using a cable from a reliable and reputable brand or the cable that came with your monitor, it will be enough to support 144 Hz. Below are the cables and thei specs : 

HDMI 1.0 to 1.3 - primarily, these versions of HDMI do not support a 144 Hz refresh rate.

HDMI 1.4 or 1.4b- is suitable for supporting 144 Hz at a resolution of up to 1080p. However, there are some specific monitors that can only support up to 120 Hz at 1080p resolution. So, you should check that first if your monitor is capable of handling 144 Hz over HDMI.

HDMI 2.0 to 2.2 - if you want to surely run 144 Hz over HDMI, then you can get a monitor with at least HDMI 2.0 input. Because HDMI 2.0 and later versions can handle even up to 240 Hz refresh rates over HDMI at a resolution of 1080p. And at 1440p resolution, it can handle up to 144 Hz refresh rate.

DVI - out of all the DVI’s only the Dual-Link DVI D interface can handle 144 Hz at a resolution up to 1080p. Single-link DVI-D is not able to handle higher refresh rates.

DisplayPort - is one of the latest additions to the digital audio and video interfaces. There are a number of versions of DisplayPort. Interestingly, most of these DisplayPort versions support a 144 Hz refresh rate.

DisplayPort 1.2 - port can handle 240 Hz at 1080p resolution. Additionally, if you are using a 1440p monitor, it will be able to handle up to 165 Hz refresh rate.

DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 - both DisplayPort 1.3 and 1.4 can handle very high bandwidth. For instance, these can support up to 240 Hz at a resolution of 1440p. However, DisplayPort 1.4 supports ‘Display Stream Compression’ or DSC. With this feature, the monitor with DisplayPort 1.4 will be able to run 144 Hz at 4K resolution as well.

VGA - VGA does not support the 144 Hz refresh rate at all.

I'm running it as an external to my laptop, a ROG Zephyrus G14 GA401. Has a Ryzen 9 4900HS with a Nvidia GeForce RTX 2060.
    The out port is a HDMI 2.0b to the monitor's HDMI 2.1, I'm also just using the cable the was included that says it's an HDMI 2.1 8K cable.
  • Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Does the nvidia control panel show the HDMI port under control of the GTX? i have a sneaking suspicon it may be routed via the on board gfx rather than direct to the nvidia GPU, if you check under the physx settings you get a visual representation :)

Other thing to check is lowering the res to see if it is a monitor, or a bandwidth issue
  • rafrennie
    Leostat said:
    Does the nvidia control panel show the HDMI port under control of the GTX? i have a sneaking suspicon it may be routed via the on board gfx rather than direct to the nvidia GPU, if you check under the physx settings you get a visual representation :)

Other thing to check is lowering the res to see if it is a monitor, or a bandwidth issue
    Yea, it says HDMI is controlled the AMD Radeon and that DisplayPort is controlled Nvidia GTX, however my laptop doesn't have a Display Port.
    Can't find anything in the Radeon settings to fix it, and old apparent fixes from ROG through Armory Crate seem to not be available anymore.

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    The display port is a 'eDP' (i think thats the right term) and it suggests that the screen is running in a mux, so it can use the dedicated gfx card without having to route via the GPU so it doesnt have a connector but it thinks it does

Im afraid as the HDMI is connected to the Radeon thats the limiting factor for the refresh rate :( sorry its not better news! you should be able to render on the dGPU and have a routed to the screen but it will take a hit on the frame rate as the laptop has to copy the data from the nvidia card to the amd GPU's frame buffer

• Erwinjay
    Erwinjay Member Posts: 3 New User
    i have an xv20 v and helios 300 which is both 144 hz but after i connected my display port cables and activate my main monitor to 144hz it shows flickering image and only half with red line in the middle any idea how to solve this problem? thanks