Should I upgrade my BIOS - TravelMate P215-53

Urdrwho
Urdrwho Member Posts: 2 New User
edited January 2022 in TravelMate and Extensa

My son just gave me a TravelMate P215-53. I like it and now another computer is in my stable. He also gave me an SSD that I installed. I upgraded to Win 11 and honestly it isn't bad. ;) For a long time I've been a Linux guy and planned on putting Mint on the SSD for a dual boot system. Hm? No go --- no flavor of Linux can see the SSD. Tried the normal stuff, turning off fast boot, secure boot but nothing.

I can't find much in the current BIOS 1.11 that can change HDD info so I am wondering if a BIOS update to the latest Version:1.27 will offer more drive settings.

I'm guessing it is a security issue. I could create a partition on the main SSD for the Mint install. Oddly Linux does see the main drive but the drive just installed is hidden.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,916 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    Seeing that your current BIOS is the first one the v1.11 its advisable that you update the BIOS to the last v1.27 titled "Enhance system performance" especially that the last v1.27 update is the second of that type. Try that first and then follow this guide of “How to Install Linux Mint 20 Alongside Windows 10 or 8 in Dual-Boot UEFI Mode” as an exsample.
  • Urdrwho
    Urdrwho Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2021
    Yes installing the newer BIOS is what I was thinking.

Thanks for the link.  Yes installing alongside of windows is well known for me and I can take the easy way and create partitions on the 500 GB NVMe drive.  That leaves the extra 500 GB SDD to do or be nothing other than windows dressing.  That may be what I end up doing or just use Win 11.  I am impressed with win 11 and could live with it.  Most of the apps I use in Mint are ported for Windows.  

I would like to see how speedy this thing would react to Mint.

Linux Gparted just doesn't see the extra 500 GB SSD
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Check also to see if iRST is enabled or set to RAID mode. I don't think your model has Optane mode set, since it doesn't have a HDD installed, but that can also be something that hides the SSD from Linux.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • jindrich
    jindrich Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited January 2022
    Urdrwho said:

My son just gave me a TravelMate P215-53. I like it and now another computer is in my stable. He also gave me an SSD that I installed. I upgraded to Win 11 and honestly it isn't bad. ;) For a long time I've been a Linux guy and planned on putting Mint on the SSD for a dual boot system. Hm? No go --- no flavor of Linux can see the SSD. Tried the normal stuff, turning off fast boot, secure boot but nothing.

I can't find much in the current BIOS 1.11 that can change HDD info so I am wondering if a BIOS update to the latest Version:1.27 will offer more drive settings.

I'm guessing it is a security issue. I could create a partition on the main SSD for the Mint install. Oddly Linux does see the main drive but the drive just installed is hidden.

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

I used the procedure that was on the linux-mint forum.

1) Set some Supervisor Password (It s probably necessary)
    2) In the "Maing" Press CTRL+S and set WMD Controller - Disabled
    If you have problem witch touchpad in Linux, you cane set to PS2
    As in the picture.
    I also give other bios items screen. That's how it works for me.

Nothing importent...

2) In the "Maing" Press CTRL+S and set WMD Controller - Disabled
    If you have problem witch touchpad in Linux, you cane set to PS2

Bios menu Main after press CTRL+S (if you have problem witch touchpad too, please set PS2)

Nothing importent...

1) Set some Supervisor Password (It s probably necessary) 

Have a nice day