Acer Predator Orion 3000 PO3-620: 10 TB HDD upgrade even possible?

Options
Pepe_Life
Pepe_Life Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

edited December 2021 in Predator Desktops
Hello lovely people.

As the title says, my question is simple:

I did a lot of google first but people only talk about 1, 2, 3 TB HDD's.

I need a 5 TB or 10 TB HDD upgrade for data storage. For machine learning/data analysis on 2 TB data. So it has to be huge :)

(CPU-Z) Speccs:

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700
RAM: Upgraded to 48 GB
Motherboard: Acer
Model: Predator PO3-620
Chipset: Intel, Comet Lake
Bus Specs: PCI-Express 3.0 (8.0 GT/s)
BIOS Brand: American Megatrends Inc.
Bios Version/Date: R01-A0 / 04/22/2020

That should be enough info to cover any questions around the hardware.

Thanks for your expert answers in advance.

Best Answer

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Don't worry about the GPT vs MBR, GPT is the default and has been for many years. You can put as large of a SATA drive in as you can afford, we don't run out of room until you get into the billions of petabytes range. :) Make sure the drive you pick is SATA not SAS, a lot of the largest drives are pointed toward server systems, and they are usually SAS instead. I believe the largest you can pick up is 18TB for a HDD and 8TB for a SSD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,064 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    Options
    Pepe_Life said:
    Hello lovely people.

I need a 5 TB or 10 TB HDD upgrade for data storage. For machine learning/data analysis on 2 TB data. So it has to be huge :)

(CPU-Z) Speccs:

Before you can use these types of hard drive (over 2TB) it has to be formatted in a GUID Partition Table (GPT) format, there are 10TB WD Red drives at $469 they also come in 12TB at $760 and they all have features for the NASware 3.0 technology and are purpose-built to balance performance and reliability in NAS and RAID environments. I don’t know if you want to upgrade anything else? As you could also upgrade the CPU from the i7-10700 to either the i9-10850K or the i9-10900K and the RAM to 64GB (4x 16GB) at DDR4-2666 and the GPU to the RTX-3060 (needs a PSU of 450W) which yours is 500W. All this will cost you +++$$$$.

• Pepe_Life
    Pepe_Life Member Posts: 8

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    Pepe_Life said:
    Hello lovely people.

(CPU-Z) Speccs:

Before you can use these types of hard drive (over 2TB) it has to be formatted in a GUID Partition Table (GPT) format, there are 10TB WD Red drives at $469 they also come in 12TB at $760 and they all have features for the NASware 3.0 technology and are purpose-built to balance performance and reliability in NAS and RAID environments. I don’t know if you want to upgrade anything else? As you could also upgrade the CPU from the i7-10700 to either the i9-10850K or the i9-10900K and the RAM to 64GB (4x 16GB) at DDR4-2666 and the GPU to the RTX-3060 (needs a PSU of 450W) which yours is 500W. All this will cost you +++$$$$.

Aha, I begin to understand why the "manual" does not talk about 3TB + upgrades.

Some stuff I have to read up on there I can see.

I sadly don't have the money to upgrade more than the HDD for this project.

But that should also be enough from what I understand.

I just need to read up on what you wrote and how to do that before I buy the HDD.

Thanks a lot for your answer.

Merry Christmas.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,941 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    Don't worry about the GPT vs MBR, GPT is the default and has been for many years. You can put as large of a SATA drive in as you can afford, we don't run out of room until you get into the billions of petabytes range. :) Make sure the drive you pick is SATA not SAS, a lot of the largest drives are pointed toward server systems, and they are usually SAS instead. I believe the largest you can pick up is 18TB for a HDD and 8TB for a SSD.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.