Help! Acer nitro 517-51 Gtx 1660ti crash.

ethaniel80
ethaniel80 Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

edited December 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Good morning at all.
Hi I want to tell you my story:
Last week I repaste my acer nitro 517-51 with liquid metal on the CPU and GPU (with 3M plus tape at the edges) and Artic thermal pads on the Vram. 
The result was that temperatures dropped a lot for the first 2 weeks.
 But now I have a problem ..
After 2/3 hours playing Call of Duty it happens that the game crashes due to the Gtx 1660ti crashing. 
I have to restart the pc. 
I had driver installation problems for a day.  Then I switched to Windows 11 and installed it all over again. 
Seems as if the gtx 1660ti doesn't want drivers. 
I also discovered that the drivers to install are not the generic ones on the Nvidia site but only those on the acer site because they are certified. 
Now I would like to understand what I did wrong and if I can fix it with a thermal pad to put under the PC. 
What do you think about it?
I create one video for this problem.. 
https://youtu.be/wZ_POy9-Q58

Please help me.. 
When i start an old game (example call of Duty modern warfare 2) the GPU don't have any problems..
Now the Call of Duty Vanguard don't start.. 

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 3,755 Pathfinder
    @ethaniel80 firstly, do not try to start any games. Disassemble the laptop, disconnecting battery, and open the heatsink for inspection. Look closely on the capacitors/small chips arounds GPU die and clean any liquid metal that shorts them. After that, look around the motherboard to see any existent of liquid metal. Finally, check the contact between VRAMs and new thermal pads to see if they make contact or not. My recommendation is to use only liquid metal on the CPU because of no surrounding chip or put some nail polish/conformal coating on the surrounding capacitors.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • ethaniel80

Tinkerer

Ok. Tomorrow I try and I'll send you some photos.. Tomorrow I receive k5pro paste, new thermal pad and Kyonaut Grizlly.. 
  • ethaniel80

Tinkerer

Hello.  I acknowledged what you said.  I cleaned everything and also checked the vrams and processors and found no liquid metal.  I cleaned with isopropyl alcohol and then I applied the thermal pads, the k5pro and the kryonaut on the CPU and gpu as in the photos.
  • ethaniel80

Tinkerer

There are the first steps:

• ethaniel80

Tinkerer

And I clean the motherboard:

• ethaniel80

Tinkerer

Finally I apply Termal pads, kryonaut and K5pro:

• ethaniel80

Tinkerer

The resoult is same  :'(

See my YouTube videos:

https://youtu.be/wZ_POy9-Q58

• ethaniel80

Tinkerer

I try to open Call of Duty modern warfare 2 (old game) with steam and I don't have any problems with this gpu.. But the Call of Duty Vanguard (battle.net) or Halo (steam) I have problems and this games don't start and crash. 
  • ethaniel80

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    In particular it no longer works with the latest games that use directx 12 or direct 11. If I play games with directx9 it works fine.  What can I do?
  • sivamanikanta
    sivamanikanta Member Posts: 1 New User
    Bro i have same laptop acer nitro 5 AN517 - 51 i5 9300h Gtx 1660ti but my laptop mother board got short circuited after thermal repaste when I took laptop to repair center they are saying we cant repair the laptop you need to replace mother board its been 2 months since I gave my laptop to repair shop still no response they are saying we cant find mother board for this laptop I don't know how it gets short circuit while paste is non conductive I applied cooler master gel maker do you have any solution the laptop is over heating unlike any other laptop Gpu reaching 87 CPU 92-95 to fix this problem I repasted my laptop And every thing just smashed the screw while fallen in to the mother board and heat wave appeared and the components of mother board have burned
  • ethaniel80

Tinkerer

Mmmm. But I don't have any problems with my motherboard.. My problem is when I playing with strong game (es. Call of Duty Vanguard). When i Play old game with directx9 I don't have any problems..