Fan always on Acer Chromebook Spin 713 2021 i5 (CP713-3W)

2»

Answers

• jasesun
    jasesun Member Posts: 3 New User
    I have the i5 713-2W model. My fan turns on based on processor temps. If its above 105 F the fan goes on real low. If it just above 115 F its goes to a low-medium, above 125 its more medium, and above 145-150 is high and loud. 
    My problem is the play store. As soon as I open a single android app it begins stressing the processor my temps go to 160 F. If no apps are open I can have 5 youtube videos playing at 4k 60 fps and it won't go over 110 degrees. I can open linux on it and run firefox and a couple youtube videos on that and there is no problem. But as soon as a single Android app is opened its 100% processing power and fan kicks on into turbo mode. 
    The 713 has a problem with working with android. And honestly it worked fine with android apps in the beginning. If I had to guess it starting having an issue when android 11 became the standard on this model. Around Chrome OS95.  I can't say for sure but I believe its that. If I'm remembering right it worked fine when it was Android 9.  Also there are apps that don't work as well now that its Android 11. 
    Lastly this issue which has been happening over a year has really done a job on my battery health. I have something like 500 discharges now due to the play store pushing the processor and fan so much. 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    Yes, that isn't really a problem with the CP715-2W model, but with the way Google is handling Android requests. They give up on efficiency in order to better handle compatibility. All we can do is hope they will be able to tweak the CPU usage down over time.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • theblue22
    theblue22 Member Posts: 1 New User
    i have a acer spin 713 i keep getting short bursts off fan spinning  is this fault with machine
  • Kkoouu
    Kkoouu Member Posts: 2 New User

I have a CP713-2W-34CU, fan goes on usually because of powerd process running at 100% CPU, this can be checked by running top command in crosh terminal ( ctrl-alt-T )

I cannot kiil the process in secure mode but when I close the notebook fan stops after few seconds ( going into standby ), then after opening the process is fine using ~ 0%

• Sure612
    Sure612 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited December 2022

I have the CB-CP713-3W-7296 with the i9 processor - I paid over 1000€ for this device and the fan is on almost all the time (in the year 2022!!!). Only some minutes after starting it is not making noise.

Using my more than 10 years old MacBook I completly forgot about fans before. I lived in peaceful silence. But Acer brought them back into my life.

I also sent in the laptop and Acer said "working as expected".

Wonderful laptop but the fan is killing it and as we can read in this forum, all devices are affected. If I had known this before I would never get this laptop.

Sorry to write this and still hoping for a software update solution but I doubt that. faith dies last

• billsey

Google has the fans running faster on the 11th gen systems than on previous hardware. Something to do with the CPU temperatures, trying to keep them lower than most laptops run at. Acer doesn't publish a fan table for Chromebooks typically, since the ChromeOS is what runs them, and that's in Google's lap. You might try on Google's community boards to see if there's any way to override the OS settings.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • niceguyarild
    niceguyarild Member Posts: 5

Tinkerer

I have the same problem on my Acer Chromebook 514 with 11. gen Intel Core i3 1115G4.

The fan kicks in very fast after logon.

Temp is about 30 degrees celcius.. no apps is running.

The fan is not loud, but it is very annoying.

The fan is always on, after it kicks in.. blowing cold air.

Seems that something is wrong.

Dont know if the problem is firmware in the machine or if there is something in ChromeOS that causes the issue.

I have shipped the machine for service at an Acer certified repair shop.

Waiting for the machine to come back and get the service report.

• billsey

It's an issue with the way Google is cooling the 11th gen CPUs, they are trying too hard to keep things cooler than they need to be. :(

• niceguyarild

Tinkerer

Maybe.. do you have anything to support that statement ?

• billsey

Just that it showed up on all the 11th gen Chromebooks as part of one of the OS updates, and isn't there for the 10th gen or 12th gen machines.

• Kkoouu
    Kkoouu Member Posts: 2 New User

can anyone check running processes ? For me it's always connected with running "powerd" at 100%, as I said in my previous message

• niceguyarild

Tinkerer

edited January 2023

I shipped my Acer Chromebook 514 (CB514-1WT) in for service.

They have swapped motherboard and I/O board.

I will get it back next week.

I am excited to try it out to see if the fan issue is gone or not.

• niceguyarild

Tinkerer

Got my Acer Chromebook 514 (CB514-1WT) back from service now.. with a new MB and a new I/O board.

Dont notice any difference regarding the fan.

The fan still kicks in very fast..

fortunately, its not a very noisy fan..

So i guess the "problem" is in ChromeOS, and not in hardware... or maybe it is designed (by Acer) like this..

I will keep the computer, since I like it overall..

• Sure612
    Sure612 Member Posts: 2 New User
    edited February 2023

I raised this issue as a bug ticket in the Chromium bug tracker. I'm not sure if this helps but we fight for it :-)

So anyone who wants to support this issue maybe can comment there as well:

https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=1406337

• kutlay
    kutlay Member Posts: 1 New User

Can confirm, on Spin 714 I see the exact same thing with the powerd process. Already sent a feedback and commented on issuetracker ( https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/270994525?pli=1 ).