Stuck at Acer Loading Screen - Swift SF315-52G

Swift_SF315_52G
Swift_SF315_52G Member Posts: 6

Tinkerer

edited December 2021 in Swift and Spin Series
Hi,

I was transferring some files between the laptop and an external hard drive when the laptop stopped responding. I did a force shutdown (holding Power button for 5-10 seconds) and tried to power it up again. After that, the laptop was stuck at the loading screen.

I have tried:

1. Powering on and off the laptop multiple times, to get to the "Preparing Automatic Repair" but every time it is still stuck at the loading screen.
2. Powering on, holding ALT and pressing F10. This showed the "Please Wait" but then was stuck at loading. (D2D Recovery in BIO is enabled)
3. Battery rest - Unplugged the AC power adapter, inserted a pin into the pinhole, pressed the button for 5 seconds and turn it on after 5mins. It was still stuck at the loading screen. 

I am able to enter the BIOS with F2, but not able to do anything meaningful. 

Laptop Specs: Swift SF315-52G

Any help will be most appreciated. Thanks!

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,672 Trailblazer
    OK, we are going to need some terminology definition here. :) When you say "Stuck at Acer loading screen" I assume the Acer logo is being displayed? Do you also see the press F2 for BIOS type message? Do you get any of the juggling balls? Do you hear any beeps? Since you can get into the BIOS you have gone through POST successfully, so the hardware is trying to tell you it's good. I'm thinking it's getting stuck during the start of the Windows load. You may be able to diagnose and fix using a Windows install flash drive...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Swift_SF315_52G

Tinkerer

To answer your questions
    "Stuck at Acer loading screen" - Yes the Acer Logo is displayed with the loading icon running
    I didnt see any message to say "Press F2 for BIOS". When I power on the Laptop i just pressed F2 to get into BIOS.

Throughout all the entire process for the other steps there are no beeps or anything as well.

I'm still a bit unclear on the Windows install flash drive but will explore that option and update accordingly. Thanks!
  • Swift_SF315_52G

Tinkerer

Update

For the Windows install flash drive, I downloaded the MediaCreationTool21H2.exe from https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10 and then ran through the installation steps installing it into an empty USB (32gb).

I then edited the BIOS to enable F12 to enter boot menu, and on the next startup selected the USB to boot.
    Now the screen is stuck loading, with the difference being that it has the Windows logo instead of the Acer logo while the loading icon keeps running. 

What might I be doing wrong here? 
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Swift_SF315_52G,

​​​​ ​In the BIOS information page is the unit HDD is showing. ​
  • Swift_SF315_52G

Tinkerer

Easwar said:
    Hi @Swift_SF315_52G,

​​​​ ​In the BIOS information page is the unit HDD is showing. ​
    Hi, 

Yes its shown in the BIOS information page

HDD0 Model Name: Intel SSDPEKKG7
    HDD0 Serial Number: BTPYJVAF
    HDD1 Model Name : None
    HDD1 Serial Number: 

SATA Mode: RST with Optane

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Swift_SF315_52G,

It looks like "HDD1 Serial Number: " is not showing. Plz confirm it. 
  • Swift_SF315_52G

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    Easwar said:
    Hi @Swift_SF315_52G,

It looks like "HDD1 Serial Number: " is not showing. Plz confirm it. 
    Hi Easwar,

Yes it is not showing.
  • billsey
    That is because you do not have two drives installed. In your case HDD0 is the M.2 SSD, HDD1 is a SATA drive that is not installed.
    So normally when it gets stuck the Windows juggling balls have started doing there thing, then they freeze? And when you boot from the flash drive you get essentially the same thing, except it shows the Windows logo instead? That sounds very much like we have gotten through POST and started to load Windows, then the failure happens. Since it happens both when booting from your SSD and when booting from the flash drive it's not likely to be software, since the software is loading from different media. I'm afraid the best next step is going to be to contact Acer support and get a ticket started. If you are out of warranty let us know and we'll look at some more self-diagnostics.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Swift_SF315_52G

Tinkerer

edited December 2021
    billsey said:
    That is because you do not have two drives installed. In your case HDD0 is the M.2 SSD, HDD1 is a SATA drive that is not installed.
    So normally when it gets stuck the Windows juggling balls have started doing there thing, then they freeze? And when you boot from the flash drive you get essentially the same thing, except it shows the Windows logo instead? That sounds very much like we have gotten through POST and started to load Windows, then the failure happens. Since it happens both when booting from your SSD and when booting from the flash drive it's not likely to be software, since the software is loading from different media. I'm afraid the best next step is going to be to contact Acer support and get a ticket started. If you are out of warranty let us know and we'll look at some more self-diagnostics.
    Hi Billsey,

While it doesn't freeze, the Windows juggling balls just keep running, and its the same with the flash drive with the Windows logo instead. So looks like it might be a hardware issue involving the SSD? 

I have tried contacting Acer support but as I'm out of warranty the option is to go to any other 3rd party Laptop repair service to have it looked at instead.
    Although the 3rd party repair service has not gotten back to me with their final analysis, their initial hypothesis is that its likely a SSD hardware issue.

• billsey
    It could easily be a hardware issue with the SSD, possibly when loading the EFI image, but I'm surprised it also happens with the USB, since that shouldn't need to load the SSD. Perhaps it's doing a disk check on the SSD and that's where the issue lies? A full disk check could take some time even on a fast SSD.