How can I upgrade the RAM in my Predator Orion 5000?

Ariel2684
Ariel2684 Member Posts: 2 New User
I do a lot of video editing and wanted to add another 32gb of RAM to my Pred Orion 5000.
The processor core has a big cooling fan attached to it. I think even if I remove the fan to put in the new RAM chips I will not be able to put the fan back on because it gives almost no room above one of the chip slots. Please give me some suggestions.

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,488 Trailblazer
    edited December 2021
    Ariel2684 said:
    I do a lot of video editing and wanted to add another 32gb of RAM to my Pred Orion 5000.
    The processor core has a big cooling fan attached to it. I think even if I remove the fan to put in the new RAM chips I will not be able to put the fan back on because it gives almost no room above one of the chip slots. Please give me some suggestions.

Your Predator Orion 5000 can take a max of 64GB into its 4x DIMM slots numbered 1 and 3 and 2 and 4 in combination for dual channel at either DDR4-2400MHz or DDR4-2666MHz of 288-pin DIMM. You can install memory modules in any combination as long as they match the specifications. NOTE: Dual channel should be enabled always when plug-in 2 or 4 same memory size DDR4 memory modules.

The only fix for your problem is to use only the last 2x slots No’s 2 & 4 (see caption below) but, that will restrict your system to only having a max capacity of 32GB total instead of the max total of 64GB, so use slots No 2 & No 4 for the RAM and put 2x 16GB DDR4-2666MHz (for best performance).

The other option is to get rid of that huge CPU cooler fan and heatsink as that cooler/heatsink is not suitable for your Predator 5000 desktop and get a smaller dry cooling alternative (see the Noctua range of CPU coolers) as they make some of the best dry cooling CPU/heatsink systems and they do have an appropriate CPU/heatsink that fits the Predator 5000 but, first measure your spaces from the CPU to the RAM so that you get the appropriate clearance so that you can utilise the No1 DIMM RAM slot!

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,467 Trailblazer
    It is worth noting that the speeds Steven refers to are for the first version of the PO3 models, there have been four now, and the speed has changed for each iteration. To give you more valid numbers for memory we need to know if you have a PO3-600, PO3-610, PO3-620 or PO3-630. Best might be to use one of the many utilities and look at what you are actually running... You also might seriously consider a different cooling setup. That one is less than optimal and people here have found good choices that don't interfere with the memory.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Ariel2684
    Ariel2684 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I wanted to give you an update.
    I installed a Noctua NH-U9S and it fits perfectly.
    I will probably get another 32GB of RAM to max it out.
    I have a PO5-610 btw
    You guys are wonderful!
    Thank you so much!

• NHT
    NHT Member Posts: 12

Tinkerer

Hello, may I ask what is your ram kit's buss? and what buss is your system running now?