TravelMate 5760G doesn't show UEFI boot or advanced options

I got this thing from my high school in 2019 and only a few months ago i used HWInfo and it reported my Chipset as UEFI Capable despite it not being listed in the BIOS. I Updated the BIOS twice with the 1.18 Version and its still not showing up. What do i do? 

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    That model shipped with Windows 7 and was one of the very first models that could have UEFI enabled, but it wasn't exposed in the BIOS like later designs. Specs for the BIOS includes error message related to UEFI BIOS loads though, so it might be doable. Check under Boot Priority and see if one of the listed items in an EFI boot from a UEFI boot device. You may have to plug a UEFI bootable flash drive into a USB port. If you can't find any way to enable UEFI booting, just used the older MBR method instead. Windows 10 will boot from MBR drives... If you are planning on running into the 2TB limit imposed by MBR break the drive down into multiple partitions.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BionicSeaSerpent
    BionicSeaSerpent Member Posts: 3 New User
    billsey said:
     Check under Boot Priority and see if one of the listed items in an EFI boot from a UEFI boot device. You may have to plug a UEFI bootable flash drive into a USB port.
    UEFI does not show up in boot menu but UEFI boot options from USB does work for some odd reason. and i am looking for ways to get UEFI Working for my Main drives (Windows 10 and Arch KDE Linux drives), but i have no clue what i can do to get it to work. installing WIndows 10 (Like i have had to 20+ times, because windows hates old systems so much) with the drive partitioned to GPT hasn't worked for me. its always gone back to MBR. 
  • billsey
    You have to start with a blank drive set to GPT, then do the Windows install to it, booted from a UEFI install image. It will then create the required partitions (100MB EFI partition and likely a 500MBish Recovery partition). Doing an UEFI install from a Linux installer should act the same. You need to be booting from the install image in UEFI mode, the installing to a blank drive. If you are booted in legacy mode it will install to legacy instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • BionicSeaSerpent
    BionicSeaSerpent Member Posts: 3 New User
    billsey said:
    You have to start with a blank drive set to GPT, then do the Windows install to it, booted from a UEFI install image. It will then create the required partitions (100MB EFI partition and likely a 500MBish Recovery partition). Doing an UEFI install from a Linux installer should act the same. You need to be booting from the install image in UEFI mode, the installing to a blank drive. If you are booted in legacy mode it will install to legacy instead.
    so i should install on the Aspire and put it in the Travelmate and see what happens. i'm at school for today so i will try when i get home.
  • billsey
    edited December 2021
    That might work, but the drivers Windows installs would be for the Aspire instead of the Travelmate. Try installing on the Travelmate with a blank drive, booted from the UEFI install flash drive so that it installs a UEFI environment. If the final result doesn't have an EFI partition then we know for sure it's not actually doing a UEFI boot...
  • bako6212
    bako6212 Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I just did this on a friend's Travelmate B113 Pentium and it indeed works. I have dual-boot Windows 11 and LinuxMint 21 but as I think was mentioned here above the caveat is you can only boot them up using the F12 boot menu. It won't boot either of them via BIOS setting. This is strange and maddening that you cannot enable UEFI booting from the BIOS.

Now I'm stuck with the dreaded choice of starting all over using MBR/Legacy instead and it would be a big time hit to try it with no guarantee of success.

• billsey

You will need to select an OS at boot time anyway, and F12 isn't too tough to remember. :)