Acer T3-715's Can Windows 10 be used on a new motherboard?

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Acer T3-715's motherboard is relaced with different MB.
The original SSD and the OS on the SSD are good.
The original SSD can be installed on the new MB.
Question:
Can the Windows 10 on that SSD be used on the new MB?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Kuen said:
    Acer T3-715's motherboard is relaced with different MB.
    The original SSD and the OS on the SSD are good.
    The original SSD can be installed on the new MB.
    Question:
    Can the Windows 10 on that SSD be used on the new MB?

If you connect the old SSD that has Win-10 OS onto the new motherboard that you replaced the T3-715's with then the Win-10 should be a PnP (plug and play) and adapt its drivers and environments to the Win-10 of that motherboard spec, as Win-10 adapts to the new motherboards drivers much better than any previous Win OS's. I've done this many times and had never ever had any problems.

Btw, I've just done this with a new built of a Ryzen 9 system with the 5950X CPU with an Asus ROG Strix X570-E and a RTX-3070Ti with 64GB DDR4-3600 CL16 (2x 32GB) and a Corsair AX1200i PSU and all I had to do is take the old Samsung 850 EVO 2.5" SSD (that is 4 years old) out of an old laptop with Win-10 Pro (this is registered with a Microsoft Account since Win-10 was released) and connected it into the new motherboard and it worked 100% and perfectly and it updated to the NEW Win-11 PRO also. Also and as a note to all, that if you have Win-10 Pro you can upgrade FREE to the new Win 11 PRO.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    OEM licenses for Windows are tied to the machine, but the definition of "the machine" is a bit gray. At what point, as you replace parts, is the machine a different one? In general they err on the side of the customer and the license will still be valid with the new motherboard. If you were to also replace the case and drive and memory and CPU/GPU it would also still work, but you'd be standing on a shaky leg...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.