Thinking about Windows 11 ?

Options
padgett
padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
edited November 2021 in Windows 11
If so I have tried to collect notes about what is required and how to tell:
First, Windows has a list of which CPUs are "Approved for Windows 11". Intel has a list and AMD has a list. Unfortunately there is not a list by socket (e.g. AM4)
Second to find out what CPU and Motherboard you have type win-R then MSINFO32. It has a lot of information about the PC.
Third to determine if you have a TPM type win-R then TPM.MSC.
Note the TPM may need to be enabled in the BIOS. Search for (name of motherboard) and User Manual. The user guide will tell you how to enable a TPM (if present), enable UEFI instead of Legacy boot, the CPU and socket type, and memory type.
Fourth: Verify current version. From a Command prompt (CMD) type SLMGR /DLI . If need to upgrade CPU/Motherboard is best to have a retail version.
Finally Microsoft has an app called PC Health Check which can give you a complete view of the current PC.
Any others ?

Answers

• padgett
    Options
    Interesting. I have two  2017s: Spin SP 111-31n and Swift SF 314-52 Guest what ? The "compaability" list has 111s and 314s that skirt all around but do not include mine. Wonder why.
  • StevenGen
    Options
    padgett said:
    Interesting. I have two  2017s: Spin SP 111-31n and Swift SF 314-52 Guest what ? The "compaability" list has 111s and 314s that skirt all around but do not include mine. Wonder why.

This is just my suggestion, whoever hasn’t got a laptop and/or a desktop that complies with Win-11, I would suggest that they build a new desktop or buy a laptop that is compatible, otherwise stay on Win-10 as there is nothing wrong with Win-10, its a proven platform and way more proven than Win-11! Otherwise Build a New Desktop System or Buy a New Desktop or Laptop that are all compatible with Win-11, yes all this is costly but you will be much better for it as that is what I've done. I’ve built a new high end desktop as I’ve got a laptop that is compatible with Win-11 and the new desktop running Win-11 Pro works absolutely astonishingly with superior performance and overall appearance to anything and any OS that I’ve experienced, it’s worth upgrading and also using a high end computer to experience Win-11!

• padgett
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Plan to upgrade two desktops and at least one notebook that meet all the requirements but may not be on The List.  Will see what happens. What is interesting is most compliant CPUs have near tripled in price since last year. Figure to upgrade a non compliant desktop to a compliant 64 bit with TPM and 8GB of Ram plus a MB and 16GB flash for the .iso to be right on $200, mostly for the CPU (have parts on order). If needful a quality 500GB SSD is a hair over $50.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,722 Trailblazer
    Options
    The SP111-51N is one year older than the SP111-52 that is on the list. Same thing with the SF314-52, it's one year older than the -54 that is supported. Interesting that they skipped the -53 model line... Maybe that was earmarked for a model with an 8th gen processor on the older motherboard, but they never brought it out?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    Options
    Is a SP111-31N. Seems odd that approved ones have both higher and lower revisions. Many SF314-4x's on the list. Everything else complies, just not on the list. Oh well have found several processors on the list that people complain do not work. We shall see just not in any rush.
  • billsey
    Options
    I believe the -x# sequences are done with x denoting a type of model, # denoting the years of release, though I am sure there are plenty of contrary examples. So a -32 might be newer than a -41 because they are different model lines.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • padgett
    Options
    Makes sense but a Swift SF314-52 seems unlikely to be older than a SF314-42
  • billsey
    Options
    Yeah, but I think they do stuff like a -52 is an Intel based and the -42 is AMD, so they are really in different series.
  • padgett
    Options
    Oh well, just got a deal on a A317 that says it can upgrade. Will just need to replace the HDD with a SSD & upgrade from Home to Pro first but according to the manual that is easy. Personally prefer AMD.
  • kirmgrauza
    kirmgrauza Member Posts: 99 Fixer WiFi Icon
    Options
    padgett said:
    Makes sense but a Swift SF314-52 seems unlikely to be older than a SF314-42

SF314-42 fully supports Windows 11 (tested).
  • padgett
    Options
    Now have a desktop and two notebooks running Win 11. Just got rid of the widget nag scream that took up the most of one side. Seemed to come in with the Feb 21 KB (5010414)