Screen keeps flickering every 3 seconds Predator Helios 300 PH - 315 - 52

Sumanth
Sumanth Member Posts: 103 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
edited December 2021 in Windows 11
All of a sudden the screen started to flicker periodically
This wasn't really after installing anything, it was totally random while i was using my laptop, casually browsing

Here's what I've done to try to fix it
Reinstalled the display and graphics drivers
Rolled back windows updates (running windows 11 Dev version btw, which is why i tried to do this, but nothing changed)
Tried to change the resolution and refresh rate
Tried to toggle LCD overdrive as well
Tried to disable "windows error reporting service" as well

Heres a few observations that people might find hepful for diagnosis
- Task manager also flickers - people say that if it doesn't flicker, its ususally due to some app, so thats not the case
- Predator logo during the bootup also flickers, so do the "shutting down", "restarting", "updating" texts, so maybe thats a giveaway that the screen is physically damaged?
- when the refresh rate is changed to 60 Hz from 144 Hz, the flickering lasts for longer durations
- screen recording doesn't show any flickering

I'll try to do a system reset as its my only last hope although im half convinced that the screen might be broken...
I hope someone can help me out before i make a call to see a technician

System -
Acer Predator Helios 300 PH - 315 - 52 (2019)
i5 9300H + GTX 1660 Ti
144 Hz display

Answers

• Erick-Acer_Retired
    Erick-Acer_Retired Member Posts: 503 Seasoned Practitioner WiFi Icon
    Hi @ Sumanth.

ch​eck if there is a pin 📌hole at the bottom of the unit. Put a small pin inside and press and hold the pin for 30sec.  If there is no pin hole then press the power button for 12sec. Remember to remove your charger when you do that.

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Sumanth,

How the screen looks in BIOS page ?
  • xapim
    xapim ACE Posts: 7,257 Pathfinder
    edited November 2021
    Sumanth so youre on win11 ? i would advise you to get back on win10 and diagnose the issue on 10 not 11 to see if the issue persists if so might be a loose/damaged edp cable or the display itself but if your screen flickers in bios or predator logo before  windows booting up its most probably hardware  good luck :)

https://www.userbenchmark.com/UserRun/11532543

UserBenchmarks: Game 43%, Desk 61%, Work 40%
    CPU: Intel Core i5-7300HQ - 63.5%
    GPU: Nvidia GTX 1050-Ti (Mobile) - 41.9%
    SSD: WDC WDS200T2B0B-00YS70 2TB - 71.4%
    HDD: WD WD10SPZX-00HKTT0 1TB - 93.7%
    RAM: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2666 C15 2x16GB - 76.8%
    MBD: Acer Predator G3-572

I'm not an Acer employee. (just here to help in the best way i can)
    If my answer fixed you issue please accept it for any other users who search for it would find it quickly thanks :)
    If you want to learn more about undervolting/optimizing windows join the Predator fb group and youtube channel:

Owner/Admin (HOTEL HERO/Red-Sand/Opoka Opoka)
    https://www.facebook.com/groups/PredatorHelios300
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNJwGUHxSJ8FKqAhnOqQuAw
    Acer support:
    https://www.acer.com/ac/en/US/content/service-contact
    http://www.acer.com/worldwide/support/  

• Sumanth
    Sumanth Member Posts: 103 Skilled Fixer WiFi Icon
    @Acer-Erick @easwar @xapim

I thank all of you for your valuable inputs
    I reset my laptop in order to give it a last chance (although I did not roll back to windows 10)
    I finally decided to take it to a local fixer
     After a day, he showed me a laptop which won't even turn on or charge, said he can't fix it and that the parts needed to fix it (was referring to some chip on the board) is expensive and isn't locally available, he asked for another days time with the same result

I kinda regret giving it to a local store rather than one of acers but we don't have any acer service centres in my state.
    I brought back the laptop and checked for basic things like if there's something loose, the battery cable, any loose components which might be shorting etc, but failed to find any.

So finally... The laptop doesn't turn on, doesn't charge, the power indicators don't light up
    I don't know what to do now... This machine has been my bread winner literally...
    ANY help would be much appreciated
    I tried to disconnect the battery, drain the laptop by holding the power button let it sit for a couple of hours, yet there's no sign of life..
    I'll try to keep things updated here
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    Oh, I hope he didn't fry anything... Since the flickering originally happened even on the Predator splash screen we know it's not a Windows issue, which pretty much points at the hardware. When you were at that point we could have connected an external display to see if it might just be the cable running between the MB and the display. As it sits now we are going to have to get it back to trying to boot before anything else can be done. When you try to turn it on do you get any indication the fan tries to spin? That's close to the first component to get power when the power enable is activated.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Sumanth,

It looks like hardware issue. Contact acer tech support,

https://www.acer.com/ac/en/IN/content/service-contact

OR book the unit for repair service,

https://customercare.acer-apac.com/CustomerSelfService/CaseBooking.aspx?CID=IN&LID=ENG

• RoystanCastelino
    RoystanCastelino Member Posts: 1 New User
    Sumanth said:
    This wasn't really after installing anything, it was totally random while i was using my laptop, casually browsing

Rolled back windows updates (running windows 11 Dev version btw, which is why i tried to do this, but nothing changed)

- Task manager also flickers - people say that if it doesn't flicker, its ususally due to some app, so thats not the case
    - Predator logo during the bootup also flickers, so do the "shutting down", "restarting", "updating" texts, so maybe thats a giveaway that the screen is physically damaged?
    - when the refresh rate is changed to 60 Hz from 144 Hz, the flickering lasts for longer durations

I'll try to do a system reset as its my only last hope although im half convinced that the screen might be broken...

System -
    i5 9300H + GTX 1660 Ti
    144 Hz display
     Today, My screen started flickering, every 2 seconds. I have a secondary monitor, it doesn't flicker. So the graphic card is alright I think. I suspect there's an issue with the cable which connects to the laptop screen. For now, I am using the secondary screen only.
    I have issues with the mic as well. I think the cable is somehow damaged by opening and closing the lid.
  • Mr30
    Mr30 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Sumanth said:

System -
    i5 9300H + GTX 1660 Ti
    144 Hz display
     Today, My screen started flickering, every 2 seconds. I have a secondary monitor, it doesn't flicker. So the graphic card is alright I think. I suspect there's an issue with the cable which connects to the laptop screen. For now, I am using the secondary screen only.
    I have issues with the mic as well. I think the cable is somehow damaged by opening and closing the lid.
    I'm facing the same issue with my helios 300. May I know how you fixed it. I'm flipping out. 
  • Mr30
    Mr30 Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

Sumanth said:
    @Acer-Erick @easwar @xapim

I thank all of you for your valuable inputs
    I reset my laptop in order to give it a last chance (although I did not roll back to windows 10)
    I finally decided to take it to a local fixer
     After a day, he showed me a laptop which won't even turn on or charge, said he can't fix it and that the parts needed to fix it (was referring to some chip on the board) is expensive and isn't locally available, he asked for another days time with the same result

I kinda regret giving it to a local store rather than one of acers but we don't have any acer service centres in my state.
    I brought back the laptop and checked for basic things like if there's something loose, the battery cable, any loose components which might be shorting etc, but failed to find any.

So finally... The laptop doesn't turn on, doesn't charge, the power indicators don't light up
    I don't know what to do now... This machine has been my bread winner literally...
    ANY help would be much appreciated
    I tried to disconnect the battery, drain the laptop by holding the power button let it sit for a couple of hours, yet there's no sign of life..
    I'll try to keep things updated here
    Hey, did you get the issue fixed? How did you fix the issue??
  • zavnet
    zavnet Member Posts: 1 New User

I had screen flickering at the lower 1/4 section of my laptop started yesterday and this is the first since owning the pc since 2019. I uninstalled the display drivers both UHD graphics 630 and the gtx1660ti and reinstall them. the problem still persists. I connected an external monitor to the laptop and it worked without flickering which ruled out hardware issues for me. I finally got it to stop flickering by changing my screen refresh rate to 60 Hz from 144hz and it's gone completely. I tried putting it back on 144hz just to check and the flickering came back. so I guess I can't use 144hz anymore. but it's working fine now in 60hz. But what does this mean for my LCD screen on the laptop?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer

@zavnet it would have been better for you to start a new thread. Even if you have the exact same model your issue is likely different than the one discussed here. Try moving the screen in and out while the flickering is going on. If you see changes it might be the eDP cable that runs between the MB and display, they gradually develop cracks in the wiring over time. If that doesn't change anything it still might be the cable, the connectors at each end can build up a bit of corrosion, especially in warmer or humid environments. Taking it apart and disconnecting then reconnecting the ends a few times can help clean that up.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.