Acer Aspire 3 (A315-41G-R4BW) upgrade:

bjoselkyle
bjoselkyle Member Posts: 1 New User
Hello!

I am planning to upgrade this laptop variant by adding an M.2 SSD. I saw this list on its campatible SSDs and I wanted to ask if this are the only SSDs I can upgrade my laptop with (refer below) or can I use an M.2 with a bigger and faster memory?

Also, is it advisable to replace the existing HDD with a SATA SSD or should I leave the HDD as is? If yes, what kind of SSD make or brand should I use? Can the SATA SSD be 1TB above? If no, should I just replace it with another faster HDD?

Any kind of advise would be great. Thank you for the answers in advance.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    The m.2 socket will accept either an m.2 SATA3 card or an m.2 NVME card up to 2TB. The  NVME card may be up to twice as fast as the SATA card.

A 2.5" SATA3 SSD can also replace the 2.5" HDD, again up to 2TB.

The Western Digital Blues series of 2.5" SSDs and m.2 NVMEs cards should be fine upgrades for this model. The 1TB models seem to be the  best deals right now.

Jack E/NJ

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,939 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Hello!

I am planning to upgrade this laptop variant by adding an M.2 SSD. I saw this list on its campatible SSDs and I wanted to ask if this are the only SSDs I can upgrade my laptop with (refer below) or can I use an M.2 with a bigger and faster memory?

Also, is it advisable to replace the existing HDD with a SATA SSD or should I leave the HDD as is? If yes, what kind of SSD make or brand should I use? Can the SATA SSD be 1TB above? If no, should I just replace it with another faster HDD?

Any kind of advise would be great. Thank you for the answers in advance.

My suggestion to you is to also run the Crucial System Scanner, or use their Crucial Advisor Tool, so you can accurately check the amount of memory and types of SSD's your system can support.