Any advice on installing Ubuntu 16.04 distro in an Aspire a515-45 ?

AJBAJA
AJBAJA Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
Trouble installing Ubuntu 16.04 distro in an Aspire a515-45 .....want only Linux Distro no Windows needed...all help welcome.

I bought this laptop because of components..thinking of returning now :/

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    Yes. Install a newer version, preferrably using a more polished installation distro like Mint 19.3 or 20.x that can better handle newer machines that weren't even invented yet when 16.04 was released.

Also, while you may have no use for Windows, you're much better off keeping a minimal dual boot version on the disk with the grub bootloader. This is because beneficial BIOS firmware changes/updates  can be much more easily and safely done within the Windows environment if need be.

Jack E/NJ

• Leostat
    Leostat ACE Posts: 3,043 Pathfinder
    Aye you will want a much more recent kernel version to support the CPU. Going for soemthing like Ubuntu 20.04 is a great compromise between the latest and greatest, and not having to upgrade all the time as it's supported for 4 years 

After you swap to a new distro, have a bash and if you still run into issues would be more then happy to try and troubleshoot :) 
  • AJBAJA
    AJBAJA Member Posts: 15 Troubleshooter
    Great tnx for the input.

Im going another routh, Ive packed and filed to return this laptop, a few issues with its keyboard: its bouncy as a whole and feels like it will not last long.
    Going for a different brand.

btw, the distro I grew to love is LinuxLite 3.8 with an updated kernel, 5.0. I thought it would meet newer machines no problem, but apprently not.

Thnx again 
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,329 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Good luck with whatever you decide to get as a replacement. Just beware that most new consumer-oriented machines designed mainly for the Windows environment, regardless of brand, are becoming increasingly difficult to accomodate a single boot Linux environment without a well polished installation distro. Most of the better distros install best in dual boot mode which is absolutely a very desireable trait nowadays!

Jack E/NJ