Acer Nitro 5 AN515-53 Stripped heatsink screw

13»

Answers

• ShangWang
    ShangWang Member Posts: 186 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    edited February 2022
    JackE said:
    Very fine thread screws need only a few threads to firmly engage. I prefer shorter screws due to the possibility of overlooking a closed hole.   
    I see, thank you! One more thing, would you also say that longer finer screws are more likely to be stripped/worn out from tightening?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer
    No less likely Because the more threads that are engaged, the more force needed to strip them. In any case, don't overtighten any of this fine thread screws  They only need be snug in a laptop application since it is not an application subject to high forces & vibrations like an internal combustion engine

Jack E/NJ

• ShangWang
    ShangWang Member Posts: 186 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
    edited February 2022
    JackE said:
    No less likely Because the more threads that are engaged, the more force needed to strip them. In any case, don't overtighten any of this fine thread screws  They only need be snug in a laptop application since it is not an application subject to high forces & vibrations like an internal combustion engine
    Ok, thank you. I tightened the internal screws with enough force so they don't have any more room to turn but with only so much force. I'm assuming that finer screws will be easier to strip as well.

For some reason I had thought making some screws slightly loose would give them "breathing room," does this concept exist for screws or is this a myth? There's no benefit to making screws a little bit loose/not so tight?
  • JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,265 Trailblazer
    Snug not loose All screw thread surfaces should be in contact with all corresponding nut thread surfaces for maximum friction

Jack E/NJ