Does anybody know if the Gateway GWTN141-5BK NVMe SSD in 128gb?

mmitsch
mmitsch Member Posts: 9

Tinkerer

Does anybody know if the Gateway GWTN141-5 can take an M.2.2242 S3-B-M form factor NVMe SSD in 128gb?

[Edited the thread to add model name to the title and to add issue detail]

Answers

• William_mk2
    William_mk2 Ally Posts: 4,044
    mmitsch

Kindly go through the specification details from the link 

https://gatewayusa.com/GWTN141-5.html

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.         

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,330 Trailblazer
    It should have two m.2 sockets that accept up to 2280 size which are more common and cheaper than 2242 size these days. One of the sockets should already have a 128GB m.2 SATA card as the main boot drive. Most newer production mainboards have M-key sockets which support both M-keyslot NVME cards and B+M keyslot SATA cards. Speed however is limited by the mainboard bus to SATA speeds of about 0.5GB/sec.

Jack E/NJ

• mmitsch

Tinkerer

mmitsch

Kindly go through the specification details from the link 

https://gatewayusa.com/GWTN141-5.html

I would like to provide some additional info which will really help you. 

Kindly go through the details given below.  The info provided below will be very helpful to get the current memory and ssd details of your computer and the options to upgrade it.  

Please visit the website given below.  There is an option to  "start your scan "  and " select your computer " .  Please chose the options and try it.  It will show you the memory and SSD’s details and the best upgrade options for you.. 

https://www.crucial.com/

It will tell you what you currently have and what you can add for memory and SSD's. 

Note: If you decide to buy you can always compare the prices by visiting other websites or stores and then you can decide.  We are providing the info of scan app just to show you the upgrade options.  You can even download similar scan apps from other memory upgrade websites too.         

To check the compatibility of ram which you can use on your computer.. Get CPUz and check it with that in SPD section of all the RAM and specs that you have, its a quick and simple way to check all OEM specs and what you have in your system. 

Thank you VERY much for all of the information!!!

I couldn't find the exact Gateway model at the Crucial site but emailed to their tech support.  

Have a great week!
  • mmitsch

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    It should have two m.2 sockets that accept up to 2280 size which are more common and cheaper than 2242 size these days. One of the sockets should already have a 128GB m.2 SATA card as the main boot drive. Most newer production mainboards have M-key sockets which support both M-keyslot NVME cards and B+M keyslot SATA cards. Speed however is limited by the mainboard bus to SATA speeds of about 0.5GB/sec.

Thank you very much!  I think this model only comes with a 64gb but you answered my question -- I have a 2242 drive and I suppose I'd need to get a 2280.  I think (from best I can tell) it'll  allow me to add 1 stick of RAM as well.  I think it actually looks like  a pretty decent deal and offers some growth.  It has a Celeron processor and I am hoping this might be an improvement for me.  All of my stuff  is ancient. ;)

Again, thanks!  Have an excellent week!!!
  • JackE
    OK. You should also be able to run the crucial scanner on your machine if you get  it. Just to double check what RAM and boot drive that are actually recommended based on scanning your hardware. It should provide more useful information on exactly what you have than a model number because of possible production changes

Jack E/NJ

• mmitsch

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    OK. You should also be able to run the crucial scanner on your machine if you get  it. Just to double check what RAM and boot drive that are actually recommended based on scanning your hardware. It should provide more useful information on exactly what you have than a model number because of possible production changes
    Makes sense and I appreciate your help!

• Irvaldo1
    Irvaldo1 Member Posts: 6 New User
    Does anyone have the drivers list for the GWTN141-5bk? I lost my wifi adapter and no matter what I try I can't get it back I Also don't know the name of the wifi adapter
  • JackE
    Go to this link, and enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) for the current list of updated drivers.

Jack E/NJ

• Irvaldo1
    JackE said:
    Go to this link, and enter your machine's serial number id (SNID) for the current list of updated drivers.

There is no results for it
  • JackE
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings?

Jack E/NJ

• Irvaldo1
    JackE said:
    Open Device Manager. Do you see any red or yellow warnings?
    There is a ⚠️  under the camera driver
  • Irvaldo1

That is how it looks
  • JackE
    Did you open NetworkAdapters folder or did it automatically open when you started DeviceManager? I'd like to see the rest of the Network adapters folder. The camera itself looks like it might simply be turned off in Settings.

Jack E/NJ

• Irvaldo1
    Yeah I opened it here is the rest
  • JackE
    This means the wifi hardware is no longer being detected. Is this machine still under warranty?

Jack E/NJ

• Irvaldo1
    JackE said:
    This means the wifi hardware is no longer being detected. Is this machine still under warranty?
    I believe so I only purchased it 2 weeks ago
  • JackE
    Aye!!! Immediately return it to the vendor as defective for a refund or exchange before the  vendors return defective merchandise authorization (RMA) period expires. Usually only a few weeks. Try to do this now! Because ACER warranty service will take much longer.

Jack E/NJ

• ger1986
    ger1986 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

I bought the Gateway GWTN141-5 (BL Blue) just because it was dirt cheap; $59.99 Clearance. Support at the Walmart Gateway site is Terrible and many of the drivers are dated. Mainly the WiFi. So After some research I founf the Only LAN/WiFi driver that works and does not drop out every time you reboot or turn on is a Microsoft one: Microsoft 1030.38.712.2019 Realtec RTL8723B Driver. Works great with no issues. Now as far as the expasion storage/Drive slot on the bottom two screw access panel, its keyed to look like a "PCIe NVMe M.2 Gen 3x4 SSD Card Slot", but it is actually the slower M.2 SATA III SSD Card, or at least I'm guessing it is because I bought a 2280 PCIe NVMe M.2 Gen 3x4 SSD Card and it fiy fine but was not showing up anytwhere to include the BIOS, Disc Management, or device manager among others. I just returned that card to Amazon and as soon as i get my refund I'm going to try the 2280 M.2 SATA III SSD Card. I have emailed Tech support at least 5 times trying to get an answer on the expansion M.2 card slot which is not Acer, the old Gateway or any credible support team at all, they are a division of "Evoo" and are terrible. If anyone else is has the answer it would be appreciated, rather than trial and error. Anyway, the driver issues I have under control. For now I have simple mounted an 128GB SD Card as internal storage, a bit slow but works for now being Windows 11 and all the updates takes up alot of the board mounted 64GB drive it has, and the RAM is board mounted as well on this entry level model GWTN141-5** (**Color ).

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,454 Trailblazer

Yeah, we have had lots of reports that Walmart support is somewhat less than ideal. :( Yet, they were the ones who negotiated the lower price by providing support for that model line…

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ger1986
    ger1986 Member Posts: 18 Troubleshooter

Well dealing with Walmart Gateway Support has been unreal as far as getting amswers to adding a M.2 Card in the bottom slot. First I was told it was a PCIe NVMe M.2 Gen 3x4 SSD Card Slot,then they send me so calledinstructions and a video which shows a M.2 SATA III SSD Card and I have tried both but neither show up in explorer, diskmanagement,device manager,or the BIOS.I have come to the conclusion that something has to be changed in the BIOSsettingswise,but the BIOS is very premitive to say the least.If anyone ever figures it out please let me know how ? Attached is the instrustions they sent and you will notice it is a M.2 SATA III SSD Card,but I have tried both and no luck as of yet!