BSD on Acer e5 551g

rzdndr
rzdndr Member Posts: 5 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
Hello,

I have asked acer about this. But they are unhelpful. I would not want comment on their response and how they handle this, but at least I can say that acer is a disappointment to me.

I have an aspire e5 551G which came with windows 10. Want to install BSD on it (as a second system). It has a radeon graphics device (devices as a matter of fact, there are two). One is the Kaveri Radeon R7 graphics device, the other is the Oland Radeon R7 M265 device.

In order for the kernel to boot and use these devices, I need the VBIOS  location (video bios) in ram/rom. I have found the VBIOS for the kaveri device and the kernel has recognized it. But could not get to the bios for the Oland device.

Do you guys have an idea where on the system memory map this VBIOS rom can be?

I would really appreciate any help.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,478 Trailblazer
    Have you tried GPUz , HWInfo64 or similar freeware diagnostics tools to determine its address?

Jack E/NJ

• rzdndr
    Hello,

Will try those applications.

Regards
  • rzdndr said:
    Hello,

I have asked acer about this. But they are unhelpful. I would not want comment on their response and how they handle this, but at least I can say that acer is a disappointment to me.

I have an aspire e5 551G which came with windows 10. Want to install BSD on it (as a second system). It has a radeon graphics device (devices as a matter of fact, there are two). One is the Kaveri Radeon R7 graphics device, the other is the Oland Radeon R7 M265 device.

In order for the kernel to boot and use these devices, I need the VBIOS  location (video bios) in ram/rom. I have found the VBIOS for the kaveri device and the kernel has recognized it. But could not get to the bios for the Oland device.

Do you guys have an idea where on the system memory map this VBIOS rom can be?

I would really appreciate any help.

The easiest is to install BSD on virtual machine, see this guide “Installing FreeBSD with VirtualBox” as it explains it all. Btw, I’m running Oracle VM VirtualBox with Linux and it works perfectly and it’s a much better option using it this way.  

• rzdndr
    GPU-Z and hwinfo does not have any inforamtion on where the bios can be.

As to the virtualbox response. Sure I have used BSD with virtualbox too. Maybe I will switch to that.
  • JackE
    Maybe contact this BSD contributor as he seems to be nibbling around the edges of getting at the address space for AMD GPUs.

Jack E/NJ

• rzdndr
    edited November 2021
    Hello JackE

I will be looking at that too. Thank you for the information.

• JackE
    Good luck. Let us know if helps or not. Is there some reason you must use BSD vs some other version?

Jack E/NJ