Inexpensive graphics card for TC-865 wanted

tewald
tewald Member Posts: 2 New User
My main chess program does some 3D graphics, but it's not overwhelming. Basically, I would like a separate graphics card to replace the built-in 630, but I don't need one for "real" gaming, so I'm not looking for anything expensive. Any suggestions of something compatible? Thanks.

Best Answer

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    tewald said:
    My main chess program does some 3D graphics, but it's not overwhelming. Basically, I would like a separate graphics card to replace the built-in 630, but I don't need one for "real" gaming, so I'm not looking for anything expensive. Any suggestions of something compatible? Thanks.

Firstly and in this day and age GPU’s are way over priced and very expensive for what they are, this is due to the global chip shortage, Covid 19 and the ridiculous Cryptocurrency Miners that have bought the majority of GPU’s out and have emptied their stocks! Your Coffee Lake Intel UHD 630 graphics is a basic integrated CPU graphics of base clock of 350 MHz and boost clock of 1150 MHz so its very average.

In saying all this the upper end Aspire TC-865 desktops were fitted with with an Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, GTX-1050 2GB GDDR5 GPU that needs a PSU of 250W and have a max memory cpacity of 32GB into their 2x slots at DDR4 2666MHz/2400MHZ 288-pin DIMM's. Btw and with the memory, dual channel should be enabled always when you plug-in 2 of the same memory size DDR4 memory module into both slots. Btw and also your Aspire TC-865 comes with an OEM PSU of 500W (so check that and if you have such a PSU?) so you could go to a better GPU to accommodate the 500W PSU. 

The appropriate GPU cards for your desktop and in the lower range of todays market is all relative to what the prices are but, the one up GTX-1050ti is cheap in todays market which twill give you 25% more performance over the OEM GTX-1050 and needs a 250W PSU or the GTX-1060 6GB that needs a 300W GPU that will give you 60% more performance over the OEM GTX-1050, it’s up to you so look at this spec chart for your GTX-1050 and have a look at the “Relative Performance” chart section of other cards that will suite your Aspire TC-865 and your budget as there are many that you can upgrade to with your 500W OEM PSU.

Answers

• StevenGen
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    tewald said:

Firstly and in this day and age GPU’s are way over priced and very expensive for what they are, this is due to the global chip shortage, Covid 19 and the ridiculous Cryptocurrency Miners that have bought the majority of GPU’s out and have emptied their stocks! Your Coffee Lake Intel UHD 630 graphics is a basic integrated CPU graphics of base clock of 350 MHz and boost clock of 1150 MHz so its very average.

In saying all this the upper end Aspire TC-865 desktops were fitted with with an Intel Core i7-8700 CPU, GTX-1050 2GB GDDR5 GPU that needs a PSU of 250W and have a max memory cpacity of 32GB into their 2x slots at DDR4 2666MHz/2400MHZ 288-pin DIMM's. Btw and with the memory, dual channel should be enabled always when you plug-in 2 of the same memory size DDR4 memory module into both slots. Btw and also your Aspire TC-865 comes with an OEM PSU of 500W (so check that and if you have such a PSU?) so you could go to a better GPU to accommodate the 500W PSU. 

The appropriate GPU cards for your desktop and in the lower range of todays market is all relative to what the prices are but, the one up GTX-1050ti is cheap in todays market which twill give you 25% more performance over the OEM GTX-1050 and needs a 250W PSU or the GTX-1060 6GB that needs a 300W GPU that will give you 60% more performance over the OEM GTX-1050, it’s up to you so look at this spec chart for your GTX-1050 and have a look at the “Relative Performance” chart section of other cards that will suite your Aspire TC-865 and your budget as there are many that you can upgrade to with your 500W OEM PSU.

• tewald
    tewald Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks. So looking up GTC-1050 and GTX-1050ti, it looks like hundreds of dollars. Not what I wanted to hear but I guess what I needed to hear. Thanks, again.
  • StevenGen
    tewald said:
    Thanks. So looking up GTC-1050 and GTX-1050ti, it looks like hundreds of dollars. Not what I wanted to hear but I guess what I needed to hear. Thanks, again.

Not a problem glad to be of some help! But and what my suggestion is to you (that is if you can’t get a second hand GPU for cheap to suite your budget?) is for you to wait as the market is going to go down maybe mid next year and these cards will be very cheap, that is what I'm doing as I've just built a Ryzen system so what I've done is got the Ryzen 7 5700G CPU with an integrated GPU that has a great GPU performance, with 64GB CL 19 DDR4-4000MHz RAM (to boost the graphics performance) and to compensate. This does not apply to you as your 8th Gen Intel CPU just hasn’t got the integrated graphics performance of these new CPU’s and you can’t get them to the latest integrated CPU’s performance.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Look at the secondary markets, like eBay, for used 1050, 1060 or 1070 cards. I put a 1070 in my system for right around $100 a few years ago, as the 20x0 cards were released.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.