Why has my internet recently become slow and unreliable on my Acer, but not my Dell?

amaethu
amaethu Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

Over the past few months or so my Internet speed has dropped from the usual 35 Mbps (or whatever the unit is) to more like 15. Meanwhile I have a new Dell laptop for work, and that manages about 50% faster. Also, the internet is slow to start working when I open up the machine, and sometimes fails altogether which it never used to. It's starting to be a problem. What can I do?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,541 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    There are a lot of different things that affect network speed. What router do you have? Does it support both 2.4GHz and 5GHz? Are both machines connected at the same frequency? I see similar result here at home if I connect at 2.4 instead of 5, 5 is much faster. I just changed the preferences for my card to prefer the 5GHz channels and it's been fine since.
    More detailed diagnosis is going to really require that we know what machine you have... :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @amaethu,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• MyMadame
    MyMadame Member Posts: 2 New User

My R 13 recently started dropping internet connection. Stays off awhile, then re-connects. Does this every, idk, maybe 10-20 minutes. Changed router, did this & that. Finally went back to old Chromebook & it doesn't drop.

What happened & how to fix it?

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,541 Trailblazer
    edited June 27

@MyMadame, you are responding to a thread that is several years old, and likely for a different model. Please use the Ask a Question button to start a new thread. Include the full model number of your laptop. Your full model number is usually on the same sticker as your serial number, it should look something like xxxxx-xxx-xxxx. I don't know of an R 13 models that aren't Chromebooks, so if yours is a Chromebook you should be posting in that section instead of the Swift and Spin section. Describe the issue you are having and what you have tried so far and we'll be happy to try and help.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.