how do i find extra ram (16 gb) for my acer nitro 5 AN515-55

Options
ChubbyLemon
ChubbyLemon Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Nitro Gaming
I have an acer nitro 5 laptop with 8 gb ram. I want to screen record the games i play but my computer cant handle it so i want to get 16 gb ram. I dont know much about computers so i dont know which brand to buy my extra ram from, and i dont know how to tell which ram sticks are compatible with my computer, or if their even good. Any tips?

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 10,444 Trailblazer
    Options
    I have an acer nitro 5 laptop with 8 gb ram. I want to screen record the games i play but my computer cant handle it so i want to get 16 gb ram. I dont know much about computers so i dont know which brand to buy my extra ram from, and i dont know how to tell which ram sticks are compatible with my computer, or if their even good. Any tips?

Firt, give us the exact model number of your Nitro 5 e.g. AN515-xx or etc etc as its very hard to advise you from you just giving us Nitro 5 as there are many Nitro 5 models that Acer make.  

• ChubbyLemon

Tinkerer

Options
    its an AN515-55
  • ChubbyLemon

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:

Firt, give us the exact model number of your Nitro 5 e.g. AN515-xx or etc etc as its very hard to advise you from you just giving us Nitro 5 as there are many Nitro 5 models that Acer make.  

and also when i answer to a message someone sent, am i supposed to ''quote'' an answer or do i simply add a comment? sorry I'm new to this site...
  • StevenGen
    edited November 2021
    Options
    StevenGen said:

and also when i answer to a message someone sent, am i supposed to ''quote'' an answer or do i simply add a comment? sorry I'm new to this site...
    Your Nitro 5 AN515-55 thake a nax and a total of 32GB RAM into its 2x DIMM sockets but, the Nitro 5 AN515-55 comes with two different CPU's that have different RAM specs. The Intel Coffee Lake-H (I7-9750H or the I5-9300H) takes either and a max of the DDR4-2400/2666, 260 pin DDR4 SODIMM at 1.2V or the top of the range CPU of the Intel Comet Lake-H (I7-10750H or the I5-10300H) takes either and a max of the DDR4 2666/2933 260 pin DDR4 SODIMM at  1.2V.

So in your case and if you want a total of 16GB then you have to have the same spec RAM in both slots 2x 8GB of the appropriate spec RAM for the appropriate CPU for it to work in dual mode and at its full frequency. e.g. 2 x DDR4-2666MHz will work at 2666Mhz as and if you put 1x DDR4-2400MHz and 1x DDR4-2666MHz the RAM will always work at the lowest frequency which is DDR4-2400Mhz. Always put either 1x capacity RAM into 1x slot (1x 8GB) or 2x equal RAM (2x 8GB) into both slots, never mix capacities like 1x 4GB and 1x 8GB as they have to be the same. Also and what I suggest is that you do a "Crucial System Scanneras this will give you an alternative scan of the types of new memory that is available for your appropriate CPU as it could be more and of a higher max capacity to what Acer has quoted at the time of release of your Nitro 5 AN515-55 as memory tech has changed and there could be other newer tech memory that will be more advantageous for your laptop. 

With your answers and quotes; its best to quote the previous persons answer and then put your reply below, as that will notify the person that answered your question of your response. Good luck and hope that my answer has helped you out.

• ChubbyLemon

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

Your Nitro 5 AN515-55 thake a nax and a total of 32GB RAM into its 2x DIMM sockets but, the Nitro 5 AN515-55 comes with two different CPU's that have different RAM specs. The Intel Coffee Lake-H (I7-9750H or the I5-9300H) takes either and a max of the DDR4-2400/2666, 260 pin DDR4 SODIMM at 1.2V or the top of the range CPU of the Intel Comet Lake-H (I7-10750H or the I5-10300H) takes either and a max of the DDR4 2666/2933 260 pin DDR4 SODIMM at  1.2V.

So in your case and if you want a total of 16GB then you have to have the same spec RAM in both slots 2x 8GB of the appropriate spec RAM for the appropriate CPU for it to work in dual mode and at its full frequency. e.g. 2 x DDR4-2666MHz will work at 2666Mhz as and if you put 1x DDR4-2400MHz and 1x DDR4-2666MHz the RAM will always work at the lowest frequency which is DDR4-2400Mhz. Always put either 1x capacity RAM into 1x slot (1x 8GB) or 2x equal RAM (2x 8GB) into both slots, never mix capacities like 1x 4GB and 1x 8GB as they have to be the same. Also and what I suggest is that you do a "Crucial System Scanneras this will give you an alternative scan of the types of new memory that is available for your appropriate CPU as it could be more and of a higher max capacity to what Acer has quoted at the time of release of your Nitro 5 AN515-55 as memory tech has changed and there could be other newer tech memory that will be more advantageous for your laptop. 

With your answers and quotes; its best to quote the previous persons answer and then put your reply below, as that will notify the person that answered your question of your response. Good luck and hope that my answer has helped you out.

Thank you that actually clears up alot! 
  • ChubbyLemon

Tinkerer

Options
    Hi, i just want to know if i added this to the second slot for ram to my computer, would it work? (Im talking about the one on top in the picture)

• ChubbyLemon

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

Hi, sorry for posting this twice i forgot to quote the first time, i just want to know if i added this to the second slot for ram to my computer, would it work? (Im talking about the one on top in the picture)

• StevenGen
    edited November 2021
    Options
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

Hi, sorry for posting this twice i forgot to quote the first time, i just want to know if i added this to the second slot for ram to my computer, would it work? (Im talking about the one on top in the picture)

Look ChubbyLemon and just to explain this to you in more detail, first install CPUz and go to the "Memory" section to see the timing of your OEM RAM and then to the "SPD" to see Module Manuf., and further details of your OEM RAM specs of and as you have the 1x 8GB RAM installed, now match that RAM's speed and timing with exactly the same Crucial RAM's timing and speed e.g. if your OEM RAM is DDR4-2666MHz at CL19-19-19-19 then the Crucial RAM DDR4-2666Mhz CT8G4SFRA266 CL19-19-19-19 is a perfect match and will work in dual channel and in full performance combination mode together (that is why RAM KITS are sold) as both RAM modules must be the same for them to perform at their top performance, its very simple.   

• ChubbyLemon

Tinkerer

Options
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:
    StevenGen said:

Look ChubbyLemon and just to explain this to you in more detail, first install CPUz and go to the "Memory" section to see the timing of your OEM RAM and then to the "SPD" to see Module Manuf., and further details of your OEM RAM specs of and as you have the 1x 8GB RAM installed, now match that RAM's speed and timing with exactly the same Crucial RAM's timing and speed e.g. if your OEM RAM is DDR4-2666MHz at CL19-19-19-19 then the Crucial RAM DDR4-2666Mhz CT8G4SFRA266 CL19-19-19-19 is a perfect match and will work in dual channel and in full performance combination mode together (that is why RAM KITS are sold) as both RAM modules must be the same for them to perform at their top performance, its very simple.   

so i checked and i have CL21. But none of the options Crucial gives have CL21, they're usually either 19 or 22. Would any of those still work for my CL21? or do i have to get exacty CL21. (my OEM RAM is DDR4-1400MHz and CL21)