How do I make [FN] Key required for function keys Acer Aspire TC-1660

OrcChieftain
OrcChieftain Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Using F1-> F12 -> rest of the upper row without Fn key is useful as long as you don't accidentally put your computer to sleep during a game etc. On my old laptop, holding the Fn key was required. On my new Acer Aspire TC-1660, I can't find a way to make it required for F keys to work. I updated to Win 11 right after starting it the first time.

• I tried to look it up in the BIOS. It is not there.
  • I tried various combinations such as Fn + Esc, Fn + Caps Lock, Fn + Shif + Insert to enable Fn requirement. To no avail.
  • Control Panel -> Ease of Access -> Keyboard - no such setting there.
  • Bunch of other stuff.
The keyboard model is the one being shipped with the product...

Well, what should I do next? 

Answers

• OrcChieftain

Fn key is used mainly on laptops.    You can always go to bios , disable and enable the fn keys on laptops.    Fn key is normally not used on Desktop computers.  It is used only on some Desktop models.  

The computer which you have mentioned  " Acer Aspire TC-1660 "  is a desktop computer.   On most of the desktop computers fn key is not used.   You will not see an option on bios to enable and disable the fn key for Desktop computers.

Kindly go through the details from the link 

https://www.computerhope.com/jargon/f/fn.htm

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful 

Click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Please click YES if I answered your question

I am not an ACER employee
    B  Thank you and have a BLESSED AND HAPPY DAY  B

★★ WILLIAM - MRK ★★

• Can you upload a photo of your keyboard?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,293 Trailblazer
    That functionality is keyboard specific, so a different keyboard will default to the F# keys instead of the F# media functions. Does your system come with one of the wired keyboards, or the wireless keyboard/mouse combo?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,557 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    edited November 2021
    You might look into how to disable the sleep key in Window. I haven't tried this. BTW my original TC-895-UA92 keyboard requires the FN key. 

Turning Off Sleep Settings
    1. Go to Power Options in the Control Panel. In Windows 10, you can get there from right clicking on. the start menu and clicking on Power Options.
    2. Click change plan settings next to your current power plan.
    3. Change "Put the computer to sleep" to never.
    4. Click "Save Changes"

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,557 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    You might also remove the sleep key cover then use tape and a small flat piece of old credit card or something to block the switch.
  • billsey
    No need to turn sleep completely off, you can just change the behavior of the sleep key to 'do nothing'.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OrcChieftain
    OrcChieftain Member Posts: 2 New User
    Hello, thanks for your reactions. It appears it was Fn + Esc after all. It just doesn't disable function keys right of F12 which isn't that big of a deal for me. Anyway, thank you all for the answers and hopefully, this helps some others. I uploaded the picture so it is clear what model I have.

• So the problem is solved?
    Oi! Eu não sou sou a cortana! Mas estou aqui para ajudar! Hi! I'm not the cortana! But I'm here to help!
    Se você gostou da minha resposta, marque como solução clicando em sim! If you liked my answer, mark it as a solution by clicking on yes!
    Aceite somente a resposta que ajudou a solucionar o seu problema! Please accept only the response that helped to solve your problem!
    Detection tool click here to find the serial number or partnumber of your model!                                                          

egydiocoelho Trailblazer

ProductKey clique aqui para descobrir o serial do windows! click here to discover the windows serial!
    Para usuários da comunidade inglesa, espanhola, francesa e alemã, usarei o google tradutor! :)
    For users of the English, Spanish, French and German community, I will be using google translator! :) 
  • billsey
    Great news that you got it sorted! :) That keyboard picture really helps, so many times we get keyboard questions that can't be answered without knowing which language it's laid out for...