reset bios password with cmospwd, ioperm startservice function call failed

Options
AbdulAhad
AbdulAhad Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops

I've been trying to reset the bios password on an old Acer Aspire laptop. I've been looking for a while until I stumbled upon cmospwd. I downloaded it, and it asked me to "run ioperm -i as administrator first" Upon running ioperm -i, I received a message stating "StartService function call failed". I couldn't find anything helpful on this error, so I decided to come here, i search some response to someone stating that they got the same error as me. They said they tried running ioperm manually with net start, but it said system error 2, system cannot find the file specified. Someone responded to this stated that ioperm is 32-bit only and my only other option would be to run it off a Live CD of Linux, but I'm pretty sure my laptop is 32-bit, and the reason why I need into the bios is to enable the Boot Device option, so using a Live CD is out of the question.

If you need some info about the laptop, It's currently running Windows 7, and is the Acer Aspire 5534 series. The only other problems are that Windows states that my battery is old and that I should replace it, but besides that the laptop runs fine.

If cmospwd isn't an option, what other software/options do I have? I'd prefer not to do anything physical to the laptop remove the bios password.

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,549 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Options
    Sorry, forum rules do not allow discussions on how to bypass security features. Only authorized ACER service centers can help with this issue.

Jack E/NJ

• AbdulAhad
    AbdulAhad Member Posts: 2 New User
    Options
    @JackE Thanks for your time and response sorry for that I was not familiar with that Rule. This will not happen next time.