What kind of GPU card can I add to my son's TC-895-EB11?

Runnyspoon
Runnyspoon Member Posts: 1 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
I keep finding posts/comments that this does not have standard PSU connectors (something about the i5-10400 CPU).  I can't find the specifics of what is not standard or how I identify which video cards will connect (or what kind of adapters I will need in addition to the card).  Does anyone know what I should be looking for so that my son doesn't have to rely on the integrated GPU?

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    The TC-895 models use the new ATX12VO standard power supplies and third party versions are few and far between, so that limits you to what will work with one of the stock supplies. You first need to look and see how big the supply is and what wires are coming from it. They came with 180W, 300W or 500W supplies. The 180W version doesn't easily support any of the GPU cards. The 300W is good enough for the low to mid range cards, the 500W is better for mid range or higher. For the top of the line you'll want more like 850W or higher which isn't really available. I believe the models that shipped with the GX 1030 cards used the 300W supplies and the ones with the GTX 1650 had the 500W supply. The 180W (and likely the 300W) doesn't have extra wires coming off it to power the GPU, so you are limited to the PCIe x16 slot's power budget, I think the 500W supply has an extra connector to provide power to the GPU over and above the slot budget.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.