Acer Aspire TC-885-eb17 power supply upgrade

Options
JudeK
JudeK Member Posts: 1 New User
I bought an acer aspire tc 885 eb17 with the thought of upgrading later. I am going to be upgrading the graphics to a ZOTAC 1660 Super graphics card, obviously I would need more power. What sort of power supply do I need? My budget is 100 dollars max

Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,947 Trailblazer
    edited November 2021
    Options
    JudeK said:
    I bought an acer aspire tc 885 eb17 with the thought of upgrading later. I am going to be upgrading the graphics to a ZOTAC 1660 Super graphics card, obviously I would need more power. What sort of power supply do I need? My budget is 100 dollars max
    The ZOTAC 1660 Super needs a 450W PSU and needs a power Input of an 8-pin supply from the PSU as stated from its specs. The best PSU and one of the best valued for money is the RIOTORO ENIGMA G2 650W ATX Power Supply that is USD $70.00 that I've used but in its 850W form and they are great and top class and I ecommend. 

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    Options
    @JudeK

Your TC-885 can use standard ATX PSU.

Here is a very good price 500W model you may want to consider.

https://www.newegg.com/evga-500-w3-100-w3-0500-k1-500w/p/N82E16817438193?Description=evga psu&cm_re=evga_psu-_-17-438-193-_-Product

I have a 400W model with one of my PCs.
  • TracyFortune
    TracyFortune Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options
    @ttttt

Do you actually have the TC-885 and have you replaced it's PSU with something else/generic? Just verifying how you know this is true as I don't want to blow the board. Mine is TC-885/DT.BAPSA.010

Cheers
  • ttttt
    Options
    @TracyFortune

I do have a TC-885-UA91, so I know what the stock power supply is for TC-885 PCs. It has enough power for the 3 SATA devices and the motherboard, but no extra 6-pin or 8-pin power connectors for a strong dedicated graphics card. I can also say TC-885 motherboard  is about the latest Acer desktop motherboards that still use standard ATX PSU. Other desktop models such as TC-875, XC-1660G, TC-1600, TC-1760...etc. use 12 volt only PSU that is not easy to find for something higher than 500W.

It all depends on what kind of graphics card that you are going to add to the TC-885. Check the 12 volt rail of the new power supply can support requirements of the GPU. Also, make sure to see if extra 6-pin or 8-pin PCIe power connector available for the new GPU. The link that I presented earlier should be good enough up to the GTX 1660 Super. If you have a much more powerful GPU than the GTX 1660 Super, then you will need something more powerful, such as those close to 850W rating kind.
  • TracyFortune
    TracyFortune Member Posts: 14

Tinkerer

Options

@ttttt

Thanks for that. I tried sales, and they sent me to their supplier. I wrote to them and they couldn't tell me. Said they only supply parts. 🙄

• ttttt
    Options

@TracyFortune

Do you mean you tried sales of Acer and trying to reach third party supplier referred by Acer?

Since you can use standard ATX PSU with the TC-885 motherboard, why bother to go through Acer for the new PSU?

What really matter is what kind of new graphics card that you want, and this will determine what kind of PSU that you need.

Check out the link that I referred earlier or visit Amazon site, there are just way too many PSU that you can choose, more than enough to confuse you. Pick one that fits your graphics card's requirements.

• Tommy678
    Tommy678 Member Posts: 1 New User
    Options

acer customer service was very rub and they wanted to replaced the computer and acer NO longer has parts

and i just got A brand new power supply that is not from acer store for my acer tc 885 desktop

only bestbuy america & bestbuy canada sell the brand Smart 500W - Thermaltake

P/N: PS-SPD-0500NPCW-W

made for the acer tc 885 2022 i9 core 32gt computer

easy to install

Dont waste your time talking with acer warranty usa and Canadian service