What CPU upgrade is compatible with my motherboard? - Acer Aspire ES 17

Somberlane
Somberlane Member Posts: 2 New User
edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
Hey!

I was unable to find it on Google, so I'm leaving this question here, for you experts! :grin:
I have an ancient laptop, Acer Aspire ES 17, and it has Acer Seismo_AP v1.11 motherboard. I was wondering if there's a possibility to upgrade my CPU, to make the laptop a little less slow to respond. 
My CPU currently is: Intel Pentium N4200. Is it possible to upgrade to anything with this motherboard? Anything that would speed up the laptop? 

Thanks in advance!!!!

(edit: this post is in the wrong topic, I was supposed to put it in laptops)

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Best Answers

• StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hey!

I was unable to find it on Google, so I'm leaving this question here, for you experts! :grin:
    I have an ancient laptop, Acer Aspire ES 17, and it has Acer Seismo_AP v1.11 motherboard. I was wondering if there's a possibility to upgrade my CPU, to make the laptop a little less slow to respond. 
    My CPU currently is: Intel Pentium N4200. Is it possible to upgrade to anything with this motherboard? Anything that would speed up the laptop? 

Thanks in advance!!!!

Firstly, you can’t change the CPU only on your ES 17 laptop as its soldered onto the motherboard, to upgrade the CPU you need to change the whole motherboard. Secondly, what is the exact model of your Acer Aspire ES 17? Is it the ES 17 ES1-732 or what? As these laptops came with  the Apollo Lake CPU's of either the Pentium N4200 or the Celeron N3450 or the Celeron N3350, see all the mobo range below. also the ES1-732 supports a maximum memory and total size of 8GB of DDR3L-1600MHz, SODIMM 204 pin at 1.35V type memory and the SATA-3 2.5" spinner HDD's or SATA-3 2.5” SSD's at 6.0 Gbits/s. Btw, fitting the max RAM and fitting a SATA-3 2.5" SSD will improve your laptops performance considerably without changing the mobo and CPU sotry that first.

OEM Motherboards for the ES 17 ES1-732 range

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    OK, your ES1-732-P3TD looks like it comes with the N4200, which is the slowest of the three. You have a 1TB spinning HDD so an upgrade to a SSD will be by far the biggest bang for your buck.

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.

Answers

• Barracuda7772
    Barracuda7772 Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited November 2021
      sorry, you cannot upgrade CPUs in laptops 
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 11,452 Trailblazer
    Answer ✓
    Hey!

Thanks in advance!!!!

Firstly, you can’t change the CPU only on your ES 17 laptop as its soldered onto the motherboard, to upgrade the CPU you need to change the whole motherboard. Secondly, what is the exact model of your Acer Aspire ES 17? Is it the ES 17 ES1-732 or what? As these laptops came with  the Apollo Lake CPU's of either the Pentium N4200 or the Celeron N3450 or the Celeron N3350, see all the mobo range below. also the ES1-732 supports a maximum memory and total size of 8GB of DDR3L-1600MHz, SODIMM 204 pin at 1.35V type memory and the SATA-3 2.5" spinner HDD's or SATA-3 2.5” SSD's at 6.0 Gbits/s. Btw, fitting the max RAM and fitting a SATA-3 2.5" SSD will improve your laptops performance considerably without changing the mobo and CPU sotry that first.

OEM Motherboards for the ES 17 ES1-732 range

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Somberlane

Since you have an ancient laptop, I assume you are still using 2.5" SATA spinning HDD with it. 

The most cost efficient way to boost performance is to replace the mechanical HDD with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD. It is like three times faster than mechanical HDD.

Forget about upgrading CPU or motherboard, as you can only use the technologies of that era and not much improvement in performance and not cost efficient.

Download a cloning software and buy an external 2.5" SSD adapter for cloning to the new SSD. If it is my laptop, I'll do it this way.
  • Barracuda7772
    Barracuda7772 Member Posts: 5 New User
     hey there your Pentium uses the FCBGA1296 socket so there appears to be 2 cpus that have better performance than you currently have 

the 

Intel Celeron J3455 @ 1.50 GHz

Benchmark: 2263

and the 

Intel Pentium J4205 @ 1.50 GHz

Benchmark: 2326

in comparison to your 

Intel Pentium N4200 @ 1.10 GHz

Benchmark: 2230

these are pretty negligible differences 

i hope this helps 
  • billsey
    There are multiple models that are in the ES 17 series. If yours is an ES1-732 then Steven's answer is correct. If you have one of the other versions then it is likely not. What specific model do you have? It's likely something like ES1-7xx-xxxx.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Somberlane
    Somberlane Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks for your responses everyone, sorry I wasn't around to check at a more immediate time. 
    As for the model, it's a ES 17 ES1 732 P3TD. 
    @StevenGen Thank you, I will look into upgrading to the SSD and add a bit more RAM! Since it's not a laptop I use for gaming and such, it's genuinely good enough to scroll and Netflix occasionally, albeit a bit slower. This is why I was looking if it's possible to get an upgrade without having to get a whole new laptop, because, apart from the lag, which is completely normal for a laptop this old, I have no other issues with it. Once again, I really appreciate your help!
  • billsey
    Answer ✓
    OK, your ES1-732-P3TD looks like it comes with the N4200, which is the slowest of the three. You have a 1TB spinning HDD so an upgrade to a SSD will be by far the biggest bang for your buck.