Aspire E560 RAM upgrade

Laf
Laf Member Posts: 10

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
My legacy desktop Aspire E560 has a motherboard RC415T-AM v1.0 and currently running with 2 memory card Kingston 1GB KVR667D2N5/1G for a total of 2GB

The motherboard manual seems to suggest that it can be upgraded to 2 memory cards of 2GB each for a total of 4GB.

Can you confirm that this is possible?

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    edited November 2021
    Hello!!

@Laf,   

I understand that you would like to get a confirmation for RAM upgrade in your Acer Aspire E560 desktop. 

YES. You can upgrade the RAM - System Memory. Below is the complete specs for System Memory. 

Hope the information helps you!!

Regards, 
    Balatekie
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• Laf

Tinkerer

@Balatekie
    Thanks for your answer. I now need to figure out why the 2GB memory sticks I used were not recognized at boot-up.

I used 2 Samsung memory cards, each being 2GB. Card reference 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300S-555-12-E3. Product id M470T5663CZ3-CE6. Brand Samsung

• Balatekie
    Balatekie ACE Posts: 1,353 Pioneer
    Laf said:
    @Balatekie
    Thanks for your answer. I now need to figure out why the 2GB memory sticks I used were not recognized at boot-up.

I used 2 Samsung memory cards, each being 2GB. Card reference 2GB 2Rx8 PC2-5300S-555-12-E3. Product id M470T5663CZ3-CE6. Brand Samsung

As a work around try booting 1 RAM at a time and check. If there is variance in speed & volt.. may also play a factor in system performance. 

Regards, 
    Balatekie
     :) If you think I've answered your question, please hit the Accept Answer:)

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    I thought the PC2-5300S was an SO-DIMM modules for a laptop. If that's the case you need the PC2-5300 modules instead.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Laf

Tinkerer

@billsey
    Good point!
    When i check the internet about the specs of Samsung RAM M470T5663CZ3-CE6, it says SO-DIMM 200 pin and it has 2 rows of 4 memory chips.

However, the 2 cards I have are DIMM ones with 240 pins and one row of 8 memory chips on each side of the card. And they fit properly in the slots on the motherboard... They are both labelled with 
    M470T5663CZ3-CE6...

Quite puzzling....
  • billsey
    Yeah, it should be M378T I think...
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Laf

Tinkerer

@billsey
    I actually ordered 2 cards SAMSUNG 2GB 240-Pin DDR2 800 MHz UDIMM (PC2 6400) Desktop Memory Module RAM Model M378T5663EH3-CF7.
    Checking right now with the supplier why they shipped M470T instead and also why it says PC2-5300S on the label although it is a DIMM and not SO-DIMM....
  • billsey
    Yes, it sounds like they might be a bit ... disorganized. :(
  • Laf

Tinkerer

Hello,
    I am back here with another interesting issue after the Samsung memory card problems.

I have bought 2 new DIMM memory cards: Kingston KVR667D2N5/2G. That should give me 4G of RAM in total.
    When I boot up, Windows only see 3GB of installed memory.
    However, when I boot with each card separately, Windows sees 2GB for each one.

I am running Windows 10 64-bit.

I tried a few things based on this article however that did not solve the issue
    https://appuals.com/windows-10-wont-use-full-ram/ 

Any suggestion from the community? Thank you
  • billsey
    I wonder if there is a BIOS setting to enable 64bit support that's not set? 3GB of installed memory is what you would see with a 32bit OS installed.
  • Laf

Tinkerer

@billsey
    I have not seen any specific setting in the BIOS for 64bit support. And I have double-checked that I have Windows 10 64bit installed. Not sure where to go from there.
  • billsey
    It's possible they never anticipated the need for utilizing the full 4GB since the 64 bit version of XP was such a niche product. I remember having an XP64 machine at one point, but 64bit didn't really hit the desktops until Vista was released.
  • Laf

Tinkerer

It would be interesting to know if anyone has ever run it with full 4GB of memory
  • billsey
    It is old enough that we'd likely have a hard time finding another user here who has one...
  • Laf

Tinkerer

Yeah, that's also what I think. it works well enough for my daughter to do her school video conferences / online home work though.

Checked a few things: Memtest86 and BIOS only see 3039 M memory while Driver Eazy sees 4096 M memory
  • Laf

Tinkerer

CPU-Z also sees 4GB with each slot being 2GB. I wonder if there is any limitation from the motherboard?
  • billsey
    Yeah, that's my guess, the BIOS just assumes you're running a 32bit OS and disables the top addresses that would conflict with IO space.
  • Laf

Tinkerer

I think I will close my research on this E560 and let it run with 3Gb. That's good enough for its usage. Thanks