Part number TC-1660 Sata power cable

Jess1984
Jess1984 Member Posts: 2 New User
I need the part number for the 6 pin male to 15 pin sata power cable. Want to add a new SSD and cant see where the part number is listed. There are usually 2 on the mobo but not on this one . How can I find out and order a new one ?

Answers

• Jess1984 said:
    I need the part number for the 6 pin male to 15 pin sata power cable. Want to add a new SSD and cant see where the part number is listed. There are usually 2 on the mobo but not on this one . How can I find out and order a new one ?
    You can buy them from Amazon or ebay they are very cheap and much cheaper than from Acer, look this item up there. 

• Jess1984
    Jess1984 Member Posts: 2 New User
    I thought they were 6 pin not 7 pin? I have tried to look for 6 pin male to 15 pin sata on Amazon but can’t find anything (except 6 pin pci which I don’t want) ? Do you have any examples of something that might fit? Thank you 
  • DS549
    DS549 Member Posts: 32 Die Hard WiFi Icon
    edited November 2021
    Acer part number is 50.vqed3.001 This will allow you to connect a sata hdd/ssd to the 6 pin power connector on the m/b

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,679 Trailblazer
    DS549 has the correct part number for the cable. It will give you the ability to connect two SATA devices.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OttawaT1660
    OttawaT1660 Member Posts: 5 New User
    edited December 2021
    I have a T1660 coming for Christmas and am researching into using the 1TB SATA SSD drive from my old computer. 

If I understand the requirements, it is not the standard SATA cable that I have in my current standard ATX motherboard case, I need one compatible with the Acer 50.vqed3.001 cable.  I see the post about a power adapter for what I assume is a standard SATA cable but have not had luck in finding one.  Any links or references would be appreciate.   

What is interesting is that the least expensive option I can find for a 50.vqed3.001 cable delivered to Canada is $37CDN. As M2 drives can be had for $55CDN for a 500GB and $105CDN for a 1TB, it may make more sense to sell the 1TB SSD, dispense with the cables and go with the M2.   
  • billsey
    I am not positive, but I believe most models come with a cable in the box with the computer. As long as you find it when unpacking and don't lose it subsequently you should be good. Did the model you order have a HDD or SSD or both in it? What about an ODD?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • OttawaT1660
    edited December 2021
    billsey said:
    I am not positive, but I believe most models come with a cable in the box with the computer. As long as you find it when unpacking and don't lose it subsequently you should be good. Did the model you order have a HDD or SSD or both in it? What about an ODD?
    It is the TC-1660-EB11 from Bestbuy Canada and is transit right now - 256GB SSD only, no optical.  The BB website did not have a cable noted, so I will definitely look for it.   

I actually found a deal on a Kingston m.2 1TB drive for $85CDN, and just ordered it.  I will still hook up the other drive for redundant back up.  I had a Samsung EVO die on me a couple of years ago and lost to much with it and run frequent double backups now - storage space is cheap!!!! 
  • billsey
    There is only one M.2 slot for the SSD, so your existing 256GB is going to be filling that. Get one of the external NVMe cases and clone the 256GB to the new 1TB (make sure the clone only mucks with partition size on the system partition, not the EFI or either Recovery), then swap drives and boot from the new one. Once you are sure everything is working right, use Disk Management to remove all the partitions on the small drive and redo it as an external data drive.
  • OttawaT1660
    billsey said:
    There is only one M.2 slot for the SSD, so your existing 256GB is going to be filling that. Get one of the external NVMe cases and clone the 256GB to the new 1TB (make sure the clone only mucks with partition size on the system partition, not the EFI or either Recovery), then swap drives and boot from the new one. Once you are sure everything is working right, use Disk Management to remove all the partitions on the small drive and redo it as an external data drive.
    Any recommendations for a close software?  I thought there was an empty m.2 slot.  The computer did come with a Sata power cable so adding a standard drive for storage would be easy, though I prefer most things on the main drive so I am not mucking about with shortcuts, etc.
  • OttawaT1660
    Ordered and external NVMe case that will take a bit of time to get to me, so I will get there eventually.  The computer does have an optical drive.  
  • billsey
    Last time I cloned a system here I used Macrium Reflect, but most any of them should work fine. A few years ago they had issues with UEFI systems, with them resizing the EFI partition. That completely broke booting so they pretty much all got it fixed fairly quickly. :)
  • OttawaT1660
    billsey said:
    Last time I cloned a system here I used Macrium Reflect, but most any of them should work fine. A few years ago they had issues with UEFI systems, with them resizing the EFI partition. That completely broke booting so they pretty much all got it fixed fairly quickly. :)
    I replaced a 5400 rpm drive in a laptop with an SSD and tried Macrium.  It was brilliant and perfect, thanks for that tip. 
    Appreciate if you can verify that the T1660 M.2 has the 5 contact M-key and not the B-key type.   This is new to me and I am getting quick education.

I cancelled the enclosure I had ordered as it was not shipping and I saw a message wanting more money for shipping on top of what I paid already.  The does not give me confidence in the vendor so am looking around again.   

The T1660 is up and running very nicely with the original drive and big mechanical back up drive but will like getting this a fully SSD machine.

Thanks again.
  • billsey
    I'm assuming you mean TC-1660 instead of T1660... The M.2 connector is a bit tough to see on the motherboard image (#8):
    but it looks like the standard "M" key configuration. You should be able to fit M and M+B cards, but all NVMe x4 cards should be correct.