laptop screen gets covered in static (like tv). Please help! - Aspire A715-75G

UrsMilano
UrsMilano Member Posts: 11

Tinkerer

edited November 2021 in Aspire Laptops
My laptop has suddenly started doing this strange thing where the screen gets covered in static (like TV static) for a while and then it gets back to normal. It mostly happens when I am scrolling. Does anyone know what this is a symptom of? My Laptop model: Aspire A715-75G

​//Edited the content to add model name.   ​

Answers

• JackE
    JackE ACE Posts: 44,781 Trailblazer
    (1) Shut down Windows normally
    (2) Unplug charger. No LEDs should be lit.
    (3) Insert paper clip into reset pinhole on bottom for about a minute
    (4) Plug charger back in but wait till battery charge LED turns from steady orange to steady blue
    (5) Only after battery charge LED turns steady blue, turn laptop back on and immediately press the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu
    (6) Press F9 in the BIOS menu to load defaults. Press F10 to save defaults and exit the BIOS menu
    (7) Laptop should start Windows login normally

If screen still shows 'TV static' after following the above steps, plug an HDMI cable from the laptop to a TV set to see if the TV screen also shows the same static as the laptop screen.

Jack E/NJ

• UrsMilano

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    (4) Plug charger back in but wait till battery charge LED turns from steady orange to steady blue
    (5) Only after battery charge LED turns steady blue, turn laptop back on and immediately press the F2 key to enter the BIOS menu
    (6) Press F9 in the BIOS menu to load defaults. Press F10 to save defaults and exit the BIOS menu

If screen still shows 'TV static' after following the above steps, plug an HDMI cable from the laptop to a TV set to see if the TV screen also shows the same static as the laptop screen.

thank you, I will try. But do I need to back up my data before resetting it? Will it erase my data & the software which I have installed?
  • JackE
    While you should do routine backups, this reset procedure shouldn't affect the SSDs and/or HDDs where the data and system files are stored.   It only disconnects the internal battery pack from the mainboard and drains away any residual electric charges on the mainboard circuits.

Jack E/NJ

• UrsMilano

Tinkerer

JackE said:
    While you should do routine backups, this reset procedure shouldn't affect the SSDs and/or HDDs where the data and system files are stored.   It only disconnects the internal battery pack from the mainboard and drains away any residual electric charges on the mainboard circuits.
    thank you for clearing my doubt. i will do the reset and update you. 
  • UrsMilano

Tinkerer

UrsMilano said:
    JackE said:

thank you, I will try. But do I need to back up my data before resetting it? Will it erase my data & the software which I have installed?
    Sorry for the late reply. I did everything you said but it didn't work. Now the static has become more frequent than earlier. I don't have a tv set or monitor to try the last part you said.
  • JackE
    >>>Now the static has become more frequent than earlier. I don't have a tv set or monitor to try the last part you said. >>>

Can you at least try to use the laptop at somebody else's home or school or some other place to see if the static may be caused by AC  mains interference? It's hard  for me to guess what is wrong when you are unable to do simple tests.

Jack E/NJ

• UrsMilano

Tinkerer

Ok, but it happens even when I am using the laptop on its internal battery.
  • JackE
    Then please find a friend with TV set with an HDMI cable so you can see if it's your laptop screen, your laptop video cable,  or your graphics card. I cannot suggest anything more until you can arrange to do a simple test with an external TV set. If you can't arrange to do that, then I suggest you take it to a local laptop repair shop and get an evaluation and cost estimate to fix..

Jack E/NJ

• UrsMilano

Tinkerer

Ok thank you so much :3
  • UrsMilano

Tinkerer

One thing I have noticed recently, this issue only happens when I am browsing the internet. Other times when I am not browsing the internet and doing other things like playing games, editing videos, using ms office and so on, it doesn't happen.
  • JackE
    edited February 2022
    That might mean your integrated GPU graphics has a problem. Games usually use another second GPU graphics in your  model. Have you found a friend yet with HDMI TV  so you can find out if the problem is your laptop screen, your laptop video cable,  or your integrated GPU graphics card?

Jack E/NJ

• padgett
    padgett ACE Posts: 4,532 Pathfinder
    Have seen corrupt Intel video drivers do this. Try rolling back.