AN515-57-5651 What SSD type and plug-in inetface is suitable for my Acer's second slot?

Swan_Jr
Swan_Jr Member Posts: 3 New User
edited November 2021 in Nitro Gaming
Greetings, Community! 

I've got a new Acer Acer AN515-57-5651 (NH.QBVEU.00J) and I want to buy one more SSD for it. So, I'm curious what types and plug-in interfaces should I look for: pci gen4, gen3 or anything else (I'm a bit unaware in that area)?
Tried already to figure it out myself but no luck. Perhaps, model is fresh one yet since online chekers don't have any information about it.

Would kindly appeciate any help.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru

Acer Nitro 5 model Acer AN515-57-5651  has a 512GB PCIe NVMe SSD (M. 2) for primary storage and an empty secondary bay for a 2.5" SATA SSD.
  • Swan_Jr
    Hi, @Easwar.

Thanks for your reply.
    I know about 2.5 storage connection socket inside, but actually there is an SSD socket also as I can see after disassembly (photo below). Primary drive istalled is Hynix (Model HFM512GD3JX016N). Having troubles with finding detailed specs of it so I could just use them as another SSD options.

Thanks in advance.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Swan_Jr,

Swan_Jr said:
    Hi, @Easwar.

Thanks for your reply.
    I know about 2.5 storage connection socket inside, but actually there is an SSD socket also as I can see after disassembly (photo below). Primary drive istalled is Hynix (Model HFM512GD3JX016N). Having troubles with finding detailed specs of it so I could just use them as another SSD options.

Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can.
  • ChibiJun
    ChibiJun Member Posts: 13

Tinkerer

I had tried to add a Crucial mx500 1To but when I restarted the computer I had a black screen with no way to reach the BIOS (no ACER logo).
    I tried to remove the SSD NVME and could reach the BIOS. The SSD on SATA is detected and recognized.
    I had removed the Crucial on the SATA and computer everything went well.
    So I am supposing somehow the computer doesn't boot with both SSD at same time (NVME and SATA)...
    It couldn't be the cable or the new SSD otherwise it wouldn't be recognized by the BIOS.
    Actually, I am using the SSD Crucial by USB port and it works smoothly.

I would be please to hear anyone having a clue because I would love to get it inside the computer not outside.

Thanks.
  • Swan_Jr
    @Easwar.

Just another one question. I see a marking there on the motherboard "PCIE/SATA". Can I have, for instance, two M2's SSD installed + 2.5" SATA HDD/SSD? Or that marking means that there only one bus left and I can add only one item: M2 or 2.5" SATA?

Appeciate in advance.