aspire T3-715 Add one more ssd to motherboard or any other way to add one more ssd ??

Kuen
Kuen Member Posts: 190 Mr. Fixit WiFi Icon
edited October 2021 in Aspire and Veriton Desktops
PC : Acer aspire T3-715
SSD : LiteOn CV1-8B128

SSD on this PC is 128G, maybe only 120G.
If I buy another LiteON CV1-8B128, how can it be added onto the motherboard ?  Or, can it be added on by a cable or USB or whatever ?

Thanks.

Thread was edited to add model name to the title

Answers

• AnhEZ28
    AnhEZ28 ACE, Member Posts: 4,115 Pathfinder
    There is only one M.2 SSD slot and it is currently being used by that LiteOn SSD. If you want to add another SSD, you have to get a 2.5 inch SSD, not the M.2.
    Please remember to include @AnhEZ28 when you want to reply back to my comment so that I can check your response.
    Thank you and have a nice day!
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @Kuen,

As per as the specs maximum recommended size is 256GB SSD. As the drive is a SATA interface on the M. 2 slot, it will work.
  • Kuen
    AnhEZ28 said:
    There is only one M.2 SSD slot and it is currently being used by that LiteOn SSD. If you want to add another SSD, you have to get a 2.5 inch SSD, not the M.2.
    Thank you.
    The M.2. ssd is a waste if 2.5 inch ssd is installed.  Right?
  • Kuen
    Easwar said:
    Hi @Kuen,

As per as the specs maximum recommended size is 256GB SSD. As the drive is a SATA interface on the M. 2 slot, it will work.
    Thank you.

" it will work." you said.  How?   A 256GB SSD on M.2 slot?  The original SSD becomes a waste then.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kuen

It will not be wasted.

If you still have an unused PCIe x16 slot: Use an internal M.2 adapter ( some may be for two M.2 SATA drives, some may be for one M.2 NVMe SSD plus a M.2 SATA SSD).

If you don't have open x16 slot: Go get an EXTERNAL USB adapter for M.2 SATA SSD, put your old SATA SSD in. Plug in to USB port to use, just like another flash drive. This old drive can be retained as a backup for Windows, or you can format it for data only. 

Anyway, you get an extra drive.
  • Kuen
    ttttt said:
    @Kuen

It will not be wasted.

If you still have an unused PCIe x16 slot: Use an internal M.2 adapter ( some may be for two M.2 SATA drives, some may be for one M.2 NVMe SSD plus a M.2 SATA SSD).

If you don't have open x16 slot: Go get an EXTERNAL USB adapter for M.2 SATA SSD, put your old SATA SSD in. Plug in to USB port to use, just like another flash drive. This old drive can be retained as a backup for Windows, or you can format it for data only. 

Anyway, you get an extra drive.

Thank you.

Here is the mainboard layout.  Currently, the M.2 SSD 128GB is inserted in the slot of 3, the red cake 3.
    Please point out which other one can be used to add one more M.2  128GB SSD ?

Thank you very much.

• ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kuen

As I mentioned earlier, the x16 slot (#4) can be use for M.2 SSD through an M.2 SATA adapter ( assuming you are not using this slot for graphics card). As far as I know, you are using graphics card for video outputs.

If this slot occupied, you still can use the USB 3.0 ports (#7, #8). If you don't mind slower speed , you can even use the front panel USB 2.0 port (connected to #27) with an external M.2 SATA SSD adapter. Either way, you can retain the original M.2 SSD.

I am basically repeating my earlier message.
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,541 Trailblazer
    edited October 2021
    Since the M.2 port on your T3-715 supports only SATA drives, there is no real performance advantage between it and the SATA ports on the motherboard. If you just need more space on the C: drive, get another M.2 SATA drive and an external case. You are not limited in drive size, I'd probably go with 1TB for that drive myself. Clone the old drive to the new one using the case, then swap the two drives and boot off the new one. Once you are satisfied everything is working fine use Disk Management to clear the old drive and create a data partition for it. If you are really just looking for a bunch more data storage and the C: drive isn't proving to be too small, get a 2.5" SATA drive (either SSD or HDD) and set it up as D : or E: and use it for data.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.