Acer veriton n4620 G how to open to add memory

Kliing
Kliing Member Posts: 2 New User
Hi I need a bit of help. I searched for ways to open this old computer so I can put 8gb ram in it so I can give it to my nephew. I cant open it. I realized that unlike in the tutorial I found my computer has an optical disk. Van anyone tell me how to open it safely?

Answers

• Larryodie
    Larryodie Member Posts: 1,567 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    See if this helps as it's a different model #.  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tBJRifkzl8I
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Here is a relevant image for your Veriton N4620G:

That should be enough to get you going. :)
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Kliing
    Kliing Member Posts: 2 New User
    Thanks a lot. This is still my preferred computer for work while the other one I use for only games. I love this PC! Even though it is old, I still love the way it looks and even my friends say it is so darn cute. But I can't tell them it only has 2 GB of ram. So I need to upgrade it. Is it safe to just add the memory myself?
  • billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 33,439 Trailblazer
    Capacity support:
    • 1GB / 2 GB/4GB DDRIII 1600/1333/1066 SO-DIMM support.
    • 1GB to 8GB Max memory support
    So, look at the existing 2GB stick and add a second of the same type and speed for 4GB or replace all with two 4GB 1600MHz sticks. Note that if you have 2GB now you are likely running a 32 bit OS. To take advantage of the whole 4GB/8GB you will need a 64 bit OS, and that's not an upgrade, it's a full replace... With the 32 bit OS either 4GB or 8GB will only give you around 3GB of usable memory.
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • ttttt
    ttttt Member Posts: 1,947 Community Aficionado WiFi Icon
    @Kliing

If you are using 32-bit Windows version (doesn't matter it is Win 7, 8 or 10), the address limit is close to 3.45GB. Getting RAM higher than 4GB will be a waste, unless you may use other operating systems such as Linux that can take advantage of that.

Since you are going to upgrade anyway, I suggest replacing the original mechanical drive with a 2.5" SATA3 SSD at the same time. You will see a significant performance increase with the SSD. You may need an USB external SSD adapter to do it, together with a cloning software.