windows 11 issue windows 10 and re installed windows 11 with no luck

meatballisace1
meatballisace1 Member Posts: 1 New User
edited May 2023 in Windows 11
i installed windows 11 however it is still showing windows 10 setup but you cannot click start menu ect also i have reverted back to windows 10 and re installed windows 11 with no luck
[Edited the thread to add issue detail]

Answers

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    What computer do you have? How did you do the Windows 11 install?
    Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • Easwar
    Easwar Member Posts: 6,727 Guru
    Hi @meatballisace1,

May I know the full model name of your unit.

• HeckleJeckle
    HeckleJeckle Member Posts: 2 New User

Hi , has anybody else had issues with the upgrade from Microsoft from Windows-10 to Windows-11. This 'upgrade ( disaster) was forced on me by Microsoft. After delaying it deploying multiple times it then deployed when I turned on my laptop a last week ( I was very happy with Windows 10 but no option to stop it). Consiquently this stopped my laptop from booting or running on internal battery. Only run on wall charger.

MS Support have had 5 goes over 3 days at rectifying the issue all the way to a complete new clean install of Windows-11 to no avail. Still same battery issue.

The Laptop is an Acer Nitro-5 model number AN515-57-79U4 DOM 30/9/2021. Battery is original ACER AP18E8M therefore not very old and should be fine. Was working perfectly when Windows 10 installed, Charging and discharging in time correctly. No issues at all.

To note: Laptop upgrades installed is a new (extra) Samsung 870EVO 4TB SSD , a new (extra) Crucial 990 PRO M.2 2TB SSD and two new Crucial SODIM DDR4 332TB memory cards ( replacing the one original 16MB card). All these are ACER approved upgrades for this model.

I have suspicion that there is something wrong with Bios for the battery but not skilled enough to investigate or change these settings. Wouldnt know where to start. In order to save doing it all again later so the MS Support for Windows-11 lasts longer than Windows-10) and since I've come this far I'd really like to continue to complete Windows-11 upgrade but functioning (even though initial impression of Win11 is not great) .

Any ideas or suggestions to sort this greatly appreciated

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,065 Trailblazer

First, please don't post questions on each other's threads even if the topic is related, you will get far better results starting your own thread like "Battery issues when upgrading W10 to W11" or something in that respect😉

Upgrading new PCs from Windows10 to Windows11 if recommended (automatically) by the Windows Update app is the easiest and most painless way I have ever experienced (this coming from a 3 decades Windows user). Microsoft Answers is not the best support anymore for Windows issues there are far better forums you should try like www.elevenforum.com/

but start your own thread to get professional help from the Windows gurus, I recommend you start a thread as suggested above or "Upgrading Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 4TB 2.5" SATA SSD"

The Samsung 870EVO 4TB SSD V-NAND is a brand new 2.5" SATA drive that IMO could have some issues with your UEFI firmware (SATA settings). I am still waiting for a response from Acer's technical staff (Acer Services Philippines) when I asked them last year if the 850 EVO 1TB model would work with my SATA interface (Aspire5 a515-54G 2020). Has not been fully tested by Acer and you are on your own if you try these with older MOBOs.

Personally I would have gone to Acer Services with my less than 2 year old large laptop for such a major upgrade (2 SSDs, one bootable SATA SSD and larger RAM).

To check the condition of your battery create a Windows Battery Report and open the file on your Desktop (double Click): Type the following in the command prompt:

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

If you have battery charging issues and your adapter is still 100% with the correct voltage and sufficient watt, try this: Uninstall the MS ACPI Battery Controller in Device Manager (under battery) and reboot.

Your initial impression will change once you used W11 22H2, there is no comparison between the two platforms but it will take a few weeks to get used the new W11 "skin" and apps, most can be tweaked/disabled to look like W10. No more these annoying Event Errors, no more BSOD's or apps hanging, flawless fast (bi) monthly updates, superior security (Forget about Norton and the like) and most important is the new driver maintenance in W11 (no more manually downloading from sites). W10 will also become obsolete in Q4th 2025 and you will have to migrate then anyway.

• Puraw
    Puraw ACE, Member Posts: 8,065 Trailblazer

@HeckleJeckle

First, please don't post questions on other's threads even if the topic is related, you will get far better results starting your own thread like "Battery issues when upgrading W10 to W11" or something in that respect😉

Upgrading new PCs from Windows10 to Windows11 if recommended (automatically) by the Windows Update app is the easiest and most painless way I have ever experienced (this coming from 3 decades Windows user). Microsoft Answers is not the best support anymore for Windows issues there are far better forums you should try like www.elevenforum.com/

Start your own thread there to get professional help from Windows gurus, I recommend you start a thread as suggested above or "Upgrading my Acer Nitro 5 laptop with a 4TB 2.5" SATA SSD - BIOS issue?"

The Samsung 870EVO 4TB SSD V-NAND is a brand new 2.5" SATA drive that IMO could have some issues with your UEFI firmware (SATA settings):. I am still waiting for a response from Acer's technical staff (Acer Services Philippines) when I asked last year if the 850 EVO 1TB model would work with my SATA interface (Aspire5 a515-54G 2020). This has not been fully tested by Acer and you are on your own if you try this with older MOBOs.

Personally I would have gone to Acer Services with my less than 2 year old large laptop for such a major upgrade (2 SSDs, one bootable SATA SSD and more RAM).

To check the condition of your battery create a Windows Battery Report and open the file on your Desktop (double Click): Type the following in the command prompt:

powercfg /batteryreport /output %USERPROFILE%\Desktop\battery_report.html

If you have battery charging issues and your adapter is still 100% with the correct voltage and sufficient watt, try this: Uninstall the MS ACPI Battery Controller in Device Manager (under battery) and reboot.

Your initial impression will change once you used W11 22H2, there is no comparison between the two platforms but it will take a few weeks to get used the new W11 "skin" and apps, most can be tweaked/disabled to look like W10. No more these annoying Event Errors, no more BSOD's or apps hanging, flawless fast (bi) monthly updates, superior security (Forget about Norton and the like) and most important is the new driver maintenance in W11 (no more manually downloading from sites). W10 will also become obsolete in Q4th 2025 and you will have to migrate then anyway.

• billsey
    billsey ACE Posts: 31,663 Trailblazer
    edited May 2023

Acer has drivers released for Windows 11 and your AN515-57. If you haven't already, try forcing an install of the chipset and DPTF drivers from the Acer site. Also drop into your BIOS and do a reset to factory, MS sometimes does it's own BIOS updates and that can screw up some of the factory settings. Which BIOS version are you running?

Click on "Like" if you find my answer useful or click on "Yes" if it answers your question.
  • StevenGen
    StevenGen ACE Posts: 9,888 Trailblazer

Do a Clean Install NOT AN UPGRADE of Win-11, as with the clean install for the Nitro AN515-58 M.2 SSD boot drive, you need to delete all its old partitions (so that you have a clean drive) then you need to install the “IRST (Intel® Rapid Storage Technology) Driver Version: 19.5.0.1037” (don’t install the Intel Optane part of this driver, as its not needed) but you need to unzip this drivers and put the unzipped folder onto the installation Win-11 USB so that when you get to the Win-11 installation section of “Where do you want to install Windows?” you need to DELETE all of the content of the AN515-58s boot M.2 SSD drive partitions > DELETE THEM ALL and then at Load driver > install the IRST driver and then FORMAT > the M.2 SSD boot drive before you can continue with the Win-11 installation. Doing all this will completely delete everything off the old M.2 SSD drive and will allow you to install Win-11 cleanly.